Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Navy AET job prospects after leaving!?

Default Navy AET job prospects after leaving!?

Hi, I was hoping for a bit of advice and information. Im about to join the Navy as an Aircraft Eng Technician, at age 35/6. I was wondering what kind of work you could expect after leaving eventually, lets say at Petty officer level(with foundation degree etc and 18 years exp).........

-obviously my age would be a factor in that id be 53/54 yrs old, is it too old?
    -would the degree (fdeg) have any real value?
    -would i be restricted to similar tech work at same type of pay(ie 40k for petty officer) or could i go on to even better things than that?(or worse)

Obviously it depends on a lot of things and cant be easily predicted but lets say, for arguments sake, i was that age leaving as a petty officer after 18 yrs TODAY///////what could i expect and hope for, worst/best scenarios.

I just need to have an idea before i commit myself to something that throw me out in my fifties, with little time to change things if it goes pear shaped.

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Default Re: Navy AET job prospects after leaving!?

A weird question

You are starting a military career at an age when most people are thinking of leaving it! Why ask such a question??

Mech on 22 / 28 K a year (or whatever it will be in 18 years!) if you haven't got a licence (if they still exist!).

well its not weird.....im just starting a military career at this point of my life......simple really...........so you are trying to say, i think, that i can expect the equivalent of 22-28k a yr without having a licence..yes??

It is weird, I joined the military at 16, I'm 38 now and winding down resettling, as are most serving soldiers my age.

Maybe weird is a bit strong, but it's definitively not the norm.

Oh, and you have something stuck on your heel.....
    System tested no fault found Doo dah, doo dah.

Helicopters are a collection of parts flying in relatively close formation while all rotating around different axis. This arrangement works work well until one of the parts breaks formation.

well no, its not the norm, but thats what i want to do. I did other things when i was younger, now i feel I want to join up. Anyway, can anyone shed any light on my original queries. Licenses are mentioned......do they take long to attain(im guessing you dont get these licenses as part of the training in Navy).

I've been self studying for my licence for the past 30 Months, as well as working. I'm still about 6 months away from completion. A lots of service leavers at my age cannot be bothered to apply themselves and give up so much of their time to get the licences, I can only imagine at 50+ the motivation will be even harder to find.

Fitter (unlicenced guys) jobs seem pretty thin on the ground at the moment, can't comment on the future, but flying machines ain't going away...

Are you already serving or have you not started yet? I'm suprised you got accepted to be honest, recruiting is on a high at the moment, are you are outside the 'normal' age bracket.

Good luck.

No, your other heel!
    System tested no fault found Doo dah, doo dah.

Helicopters are a collection of parts flying in relatively close formation while all rotating around different axis. This arrangement works work well until one of the parts breaks formation.

masha35,

If you want to stay in aircraft maintenance you could expect to find work as a mechanic. Rank and time served means sod all in the real world I'm afraid and does not equate to an equal footing in the civil game when you leave the forces.

You will be employable at age 54 but do you really want to be grovelling around under engine cowlings or changing wheels in the pissing rain at 3am at that age? Especially after coming out of the Navy as a PO where you probably had a nice cushy number telling people what to do.

A degree is absolutely worthless if you want to stay hands-on fixing aeroplanes.

If you left tomorrow as a PO after 18 years on 40k be prepared to dust off you tools and take a significant pay cut. However, you could put some of your other military related skills to good use and move into a office based role and pick up similar money.

Quote Originally Posted by masha35 View Post
    well no, its not the norm, but thats what i want to do. I did other things when i was younger, now i feel I want to join up. Anyway, can anyone shed any light on my original queries. Licenses are mentioned......do they take long to attain(im guessing you dont get these licenses as part of the training in Navy).
    I'm sorry I used the term weird. No offence meant. I'm surprised that you would wish to go through all the rubbish that gets dished out at the begining at your age. Harry is correct that the other skills you would gain can lead to other opportunities when you leave and of course you will have a pension too (not that AFPS 2005 is anything to write home about, but the provisions on it suit you better than most!) If you get the opportunity to do the aircraft maintenance licences via the navy (and who knows, army guys have got LAE status on the kingairs!), I would sugget you try. You might find that you will do well in the navy anyway, due to your other life experiences, however what does the crystal ball say?

BTW, Civilian licencing for a B1/B2 Technician basically is... pass a lot of exams... Prove that you have worked in the commerical aviation enviroment for 5 years and done the required jobs for experince (some navy time will reduce the years but not the practical jobs)... Do a formal course on a specific type (737 NG for example)... Prove you have done the required jobs on that type... The CAA may issue you a licence with the rating...Have your company QAM authorise you to be able to certify completion of maintenance tasks... Then the money goes up. The Navy doesn't do this.. The Airforce doesn't do this.. apart from experienced guys being taken up to work on the new tankers cos they have to be..

I did 25 years in the RAF and banged out with all the modules for B1. I'm employed as a mech and have done almost the one years PART 145 time required.. However I haven't done all the practical tasks and that will be the factor on when I can apply for a basic licence.
    Last edited by Alber Ratman; October 29th, 2009 at 23:33.

i havent joined YET, but its close, though i can back out at this stage.
    No offence taken. The biz im in has proved a total failure and I feel i have to do something. There arent many options out there at the moment so i thought the navy might be a good plan. However, i was hoping to come out, albeit a bit greyer, with exp that i could easily translate in civvie street again. That seems to not be the case, as i feared. If i were younger when i got out, it may be a diff story, but as it is, this concerns me a lot. Maybe a 6-12 year stint would be a better plan. Serve the navy, get decent exp(maybe reach po) then leave while im young enough to actually do something with it. The extra 6 years up to 18 served might not do me any good at all...ie i get that bit older and dont actually leanr/gain that much more from it. If civvie doesnt rate a po then maybe bare minimum exp would be no real dissadvantge with the bonus of being younger. Hm will have to ponder this a lot.

Help appreciated bbecause its hard to get a clear picture of these things while th recruitment people are luring you into to the 'life'. Im at the age limit now and yes, they are snowed under with applicants.

Last edited by got2bmore; May 2nd, 2013 at 03:35.

Thread Information