Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holding b1 and b2 licences - self starter

Default Holding b1 and b2 licences - self starter

Just wanted to get the thoughts of Licensed Engineers out there about taking the Part 66 Licensed Engineering courses. I am looking to start at studying for the B2 (Avionics) modules to get the Licence and hopefully in time build up the 5 years practical experience required to make taking the exams into an eventual licence. I have decided on Avionics as that interests me the most however I very much enjoyed the gas turbines part of my National Diploma in Aerospace Engineering.

Is taking the modules for both the B1 and B2 a good idea? E.g. Can it work in the real world to have a B1 and B2 licence combined.

I am considering the “Licence by Post” option and searching for an employer (a 38 yr old in midlife retrain/crisis!). Ideally I would enrol on a fulltime course however it’s not feasible with everyday commitments.

Default Re: Holding b1 and b2 licences - self starter

Firstly, read this thread:

http://www.airmech.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=7997

Secondly, read the ELGD. http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?ca...ype=68&gid=777

It's really very useful.

But in short, do all the exams at the higher level as highlighted in the linked thread. The only exception is module 7, where you will need to do the exam specific to the licence you want first.

Also you need 5 years experience, however, having been in (and kind of still in) a similar situation to you, gaining Avionic (B2) experience is much, much harder than gaining mechanical (B1) experience, as there is less of it about. As I have found out over the past couple of years. Plus B2's are kind of weird.

If I was you, I would study for the B1/B2 but apply and collect experience on the B1, then 12 months after gaining your B1, you can apply for a B2 (Subject to having passed the M7 bridging exam).

You do not mention your background, if it is electrical or mechanical you may qualify for a slight reduction in the experience level required.

I have been doing this for 2 years now, and have 16/17 years of military avionic experience behind me, and it hasn't been easy.
    System tested no fault found Doo dah, doo dah.

Helicopters are a collection of parts flying in relatively close formation while all rotating around different axis. This arrangement works work well until one of the parts breaks formation.

Insightful response from RW.

One more choice to make, Rolls Trent. Fixed wing or Rotary (flapping.. )?
    I love this job

It's difficult to prove to an employer that you are serious without modules, once you have the modules behind you, you'll still need the experience required (see ELGD link above) and a type rating that hopefully a company could give you (it is EXPENSIVE to get a type rating) if they think that you will stay.

Doing your practical will be the hardest to achieve. There are almost no spaces around at the moment as the industry goes through its usual periodic turmoil.

LBP is a popular self-study option, you could consider separate modular courses for some of the trickier ones (which ones depends on your background) you could be at LRTT or AST. You can also take these outside the UK e.g. SRT in Zurich.

If you approach an employer for a job or OJT, make sure you know your licensing legislation. They will quiz you on your knowledge to make sure you know the right direction to go in.

Know your modular subjects extremely well, EC2042/2003 should be your bible for this.

If you fall out of favour with one company, the aero industry is very small, any indiscretion may well travel ahead of your moving, so don't burn any bridges. Maintain a positive attitude even when things are not going your way.

Oh yes, welcome to AirMech!

An engineer with B1 AND B2......?

It will never happen, its just too far fetched to even consider.......
    Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians....

I expect that there are some out there with B1 and B2 with TWO licenses!

It is entirely plausible that someone who buys corn flakes AND rice crispies would indeed end up with two licences......

I've been in this industry for thirty years, its ironic that for the first twenty years (Pre JAR145) I could count using the fingers of one hand (two fingers to be precise) the number of people I was aware of who held both avionic AND airframe/engine licences, in the ten years since JAR145 you're more likely to find people who hold both B1 AND B2 than the single skilled individuals of old.
    This suggests to me that either the quality of the candiates doing licence exams these days has improved dramatically or the academic achievement required to pass these exams has plunged considerably.......

(b)......

I think, Billy, that an upgrading of the entry-level basic requirement has helped in attracting more knowledgeable folks into our industry. The old BCAR Section L only required ability to read and write, and some simple maths. Under that regime, anyone managing to complete an engine (C) or Airframe (A) licence was seen as a superstar. Combined A&C licence holders were a special breed. To cope with the dearth of licence coverage, the Chief Inspectors of MROs and airlines were permitted to appoint inspectors who didn't hold the requisite licence.

The mainland Europeans with erstwhile dodgy Personnel Licensing schemes led the way in creating superstores that produced flakey licences. It's terrible to find proud owners of shiney B1+B2 licences that virtually have no knowledge of the subject. Licences can now be obtained by multi-guessing and memorising answers to past questions, bypassing the rigour of studying and training...
    I love this job

Licences can now be obtained by multi-guessing and memorising answers to past questions
    Now you tell me!!

Thread Information