Thread: Opportunities After Top up Graduation

Default Opportunities After Top up Graduation

Hi Guys, as an experienced B1 LAE who is sick of shiftwork,(and bored with life as an LAE) I was prompted to look into the Top up degree in Aircraft Engineering. I contacted the Uni and as expected the info on employability was none. Can anyone tell me the difference between a degree in Aircraft and Aeronautical Engineering? Perhaps the former is a poor man's latter? All very vague

Default Re: Opportunities After Top up Graduation

Quote Originally Posted by gweilo View Post
    Hi Guys, as an experienced B1 LAE who is sick of shiftwork,(and bored with life as an LAE) I was prompted to look into the Top up degree in Aircraft Engineering. I contacted the Uni and as expected the info on employability was none. Can anyone tell me the difference between a degree in Aircraft and Aeronautical Engineering? Perhaps the former is a poor man's latter? All very vague
    Hi, have a look at the syllabuses of the degree's concerned, to see what they cover. I think you will find Aeronautical to be more directed towards the sciences of flying, while aircraft is more specific towards conventional aeroplanes, their structures and maintenance. Employability after any degree is subjective according to the part of industry you want to enter, some jobs may specify a relevant degree requirement, but probably most will not. I did the Kingston degree, some years ago now, I think it has certainly helped me in attaining some senior mangement positions, moving on from being a licenced supervisor, however, maybe, I could of attained the positions without it. While it is probably fair to say, that with this sort of degree, you will not compete with high flying graduates from full time university, it speaks volumes about you, your educational level and what you are prepared to do to further your career. In my opinion, any degree study is a huge committment of time effort and money, so think carefully.... good luck with what ever you decide.

Personally i wouldn't go down that route Gweilo as you would be far better of joining say the Royal Aeronautical society and using your EASA B1 to gain in part an IEng status further to this you could then start the slog to CEng if you so wished... these are the typical ways to progress off the shop floor as such..

If you went say the Kingston Uni route at best you would end up with a BEng..
    For info the standings on degrees as i understand go in this hierarchy:

BEng
    MEng
    IEng
    CEng
    PhD
    The most important thing is to keep the most important thing the most important thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
    BEng
    MEng
    IEng
    CEng
    PhD
    Dunny

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Everfly View Post
    BEng
    MEng
    IEng
    CEng
    PhD
    The first four I worked with in Yinchuan....

Thread Information