Thread: King KX 135a GPS/Comm

Default King KX 135a GPS/Comm

Hi guys ,

Stumped on a issue with a Bendix King KX 135a GPS/Comm. It has an LCD screen and on start up it shows the usual welcome message but quickly fails, dimming the lettering to unreadable. I removed the radio and bench tested it . Display worked fine , tried in another aircraft and displayed worked fine again. Tried a replacement unit, that display dulled quickly as well. So 100% its not the KX 135a.

It's a 14v unit and aircraft is a 28v unit so it uses a Collins voltage converter. I suspected the the CB to the voltage converter and after load testing it that seemed fine. I went on to use another voltage source and still the display failed.

After that I changed Voltage converters and that didn't fix it , I checked grounds , buzzed out all wiring for resistance , checked voltage at the voltage converter whilst the unit was powered. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

The only thing I haven't done is remove the plug at the back of the rack due to running out of time. The pins look fine from the front.

Any ideas or has someone come across this problem from a similar radio?

Default Re: King KX 135a GPS/Comm

Quote Originally Posted by Cessna Master Beta View Post
    Hi guys ,

Stumped on a issue with a Bendix King KX 135a GPS/Comm. It has an LCD screen and on start up it shows the usual welcome message but quickly fails, dimming the lettering to unreadable. I removed the radio and bench tested it . Display worked fine , tried in another aircraft and displayed worked fine again. Tried a replacement unit, that display dulled quickly as well. So 100% its not the KX 135a.

It's a 14v unit and aircraft is a 28v unit so it uses a Collins voltage converter. I suspected the the CB to the voltage converter and after load testing it that seemed fine. I went on to use another voltage source and still the display failed.

After that I changed Voltage converters and that didn't fix it , I checked grounds , buzzed out all wiring for resistance , checked voltage at the voltage converter whilst the unit was powered. Nothing seems out of the ordinary.

The only thing I haven't done is remove the plug at the back of the rack due to running out of time. The pins look fine from the front.

Any ideas or has someone come across this problem from a similar radio?
    That "running out of time", does it mean a shift change? Next page on the Handover Notes should do nicely..
    I love this job

Could it be a cooling problem...?

how many grounds does it have...? Have you tried temporarily relocating them...?
    Dip me in chocolate and throw me to the lesbians....

This is a dinosaur of a radio, fit a newer better version with less problems!

On the inquisitive side, have you tried lightly squeezing the unit (top, sides etc) while it is on the bench? This may prove your answer with internal components possible touching the case when installed. As these units get older they need quite a bit of tweeking and fixing.

One of these for under US$10K:

Quote Originally Posted by 400 Hertz View Post
    This is a dinosaur of a radio, fit a newer better version with less problems!

On the inquisitive side, have you tried lightly squeezing the unit (top, sides etc) while it is on the bench? This may prove your answer with internal components possible touching the case when installed. As these units get older they need quite a bit of tweeking and fixing.

One of these for under US$10K:

But the aircraft itself may be jurassic, and may find the new-style equipment not compatible?
    I love this job

That "running out of time", does it mean a shift change? Next page on the Handover Notes should do nicely..
    Welcome to General Aviation........ no other shift.

Installing WAAS GPS and ADSB transponder early next year. just got to get through until then

Ah well. Down to checking the pins behind the tray then. A glitch on the old bird.
    I love this job

Thread Information