Thread: Brexit means Brexit

Default Re: Brexit means Brexit

Quote Originally Posted by litebulbs View Post
    This is a far more commanding mandate than the referendum. Do you forsee a deal or no deal exit? For it to be done, within the next 5 years, will, in my view, mean no deal. DC played an absolute binder, keeping Boris from speaking to a minimum.
    French President Emmanuel Macron today pleaded with Britain not to be an 'unfair competitor' against the EU after Brexit.

He said: 'My hope is that the United Kingdom remains an ally, a friend and an extremely close partner. The condition is to define the rules of a fair relationship.

'We do not want Britain to be an unfair competitor.'
    Read more at: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-election.html

The reactions captured on the Daily Mail link above suggest that EU-27 are going to sit up and discuss/negotiate meaningfully. Even wild boy Putin is keen to chat!!!
    I love this job

BBC News; Thursday 09 January 2020
    Brexit: MPs give final backing to Withdrawal Agreement Bill

MPs have given their final backing to the bill that will implement the UK government's Brexit deal.
    The Commons voted 330 to 231 in favour of the Withdrawal Agreement Bill and it will now pass to the House of Lords for further scrutiny next week.
    If peers choose to amend it will it come back before MPs.

The bill covers "divorce" payments to the EU, citizens' rights, customs arrangements for Northern Ireland and the planned 11-month transition period.
    The UK is due to leave the EU on 31 January.

The bill comfortably cleared its third reading in the House of Commons, as expected, with a majority of 99. All 330 votes in favour were Conservative.
    It took just three days for the bill to pass the remaining stages in the Commons, after MPs gave their initial approval to the legislation before the Christmas recess.

Theresa May - Boris Johnson's predecessor in Downing Street - repeatedly failed to get her Brexit agreement passed by MPs, which led to her resignation as prime minister.

Mr Johnson has also insisted a deal is possible by December 2020 and has said the transition period will not be extended.
    He has said the UK is ready to start negotiations "as soon as possible" after 31 January.

On Wednesday, new European Commission president Ursula von der Leyen warned it would be "impossible" to reach a comprehensive trade deal by the end of 2020.
    Read More at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51051178

NS Comment: Yeah BoJo.....Let's get Brexit done.
    I love this job

BBC News; Tuesday 28 January 2020;
    Brexit: Michael Gove pledge to devolved politicians on further EU talks

Speaking to BBC Wales after Tuesday's meeting, held at the Welsh Government headquarters in Cardiff, Mr Gove said he wanted to ensure "we have rich and deep conversations, not just with the Welsh Government but also with our colleagues in Northern Ireland and Scotland".

"Ultimately, it's the UK government that's in the negotiating room, and there was a very clear mandate at the general election," he said.

"People wanted Boris Johnson to deliver Brexit and to unleash Britain's potential.

"Alongside that, it's also important that we make sure that the contributions from politicians across the United Kingdom are there at the heart of our negotiating strategy."

In an upbeat assessment of the meeting, Mr Drakeford said: "I think today we did get a recognition from the UK government that it's good for the UK to go into the negotiations with other parties saying they represent the whole of the UK".
    Read More at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-...eporting-story

NS Comment: Phew, three days to go. Great to see the home nations sorting out the way forward across a table.
    I love this job

BBC News: Wednesday 29 January 2020;
    Brexit: European Parliament overwhelmingly backs terms of UK's exit

MEPs ratified the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement by 621 votes to 49 following an emotional debate in Brussels.
    After the vote, MEPs marked the UK's exit by singing Auld Lang Syne.

Several British MEPs said they hoped the UK would return one day although Eurosceptics, including the Brexit Party's Nigel Farage, used their final speeches to tear into the EU.

The UK is due to leave the bloc at 23:00 GMT on Friday.

Ratification of the withdrawal agreement, agreed by the UK and EU in October, was not in doubt after it easily cleared its committee stage last week.

• As it happened: An emotional send-off for Britain
    • New Scottish MEP sworn in - for four days <== Ms Heather Anderson took up the SNP seat vacated by Alyn Smith, who became an MP in December's general election.
    • Tears and relief as the UK's MEPs bid goodbye
    Read More at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51287430

NS Comment: As the countdown progresses......
    I love this job

BBC News: Friday 31 January 2020;
    UK prepares to leave the EU.
    Summary

• The UK leaves the EU at 23:00 GMT on Friday
    • Prime Minister Boris Johnson will publish a video message to hail the "dawn of a new era" at 22:00
    • Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn urges the country not to "turn inwards" after it leaves the bloc
    • A special cabinet meeting has been held in Sunderland - the first place to declare a pro-Brexit vote on referendum night
    • Scotland's First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says Brexit day is a "pivotal moment" for Scotland and the UK
    • Supporters of the EU held a procession through Whitehall to "bid a fond farewell" to the union
    • Brexit supporters gather in Parliament Square at a celebration event

For LIVE reports and to read more, visit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-51324431

NS Comment: Approaching the end of an era.
    I love this job

What a brilliant sunshiny day it was today in the UK. As if the heavens themselves were celebrating the first day of Brexit.

Dawn of a new era!!

Trade negotiations should start on a positive note, not to repeat the errors that led to Brexit.
    I love this job

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    What a brilliant sunshiny day it was today in the UK. As if the heavens themselves were celebrating the first day of Brexit.

Dawn of a new era!!

Trade negotiations should start on a positive note, not to repeat the errors that led to Brexit.
    You are a ****ing dickhead. Go and get your coat. I am joining your empire and mention your grail, they shake their heads in "WHAT THE ****". A whole forum killed by wankers like you. Wish Logans Run was a real world. People like you and Tindsley Dick Head would be long dead. If you are LHR, I will be happy indeed, I get paid more. I shot down a Brxeshiter to get the role and he was my boss in a previous employment. I enjoyed that. Steve Walsh, where are you? Congrats for putting the Jocks back in their box. What Air Mech was in the days before smokie and his shit got political. Air Mech as a Civvy Avition greet and help site please!
    Last edited by Alber Ratman; February 2nd, 2020 at 01:43.
    Alonso Hater

Quote Originally Posted by Alber Ratman View Post
    You are a ****ing dickhead. Go and get your coat. I am joining your empire and mention your grail, they shake their heads in "WHAT THE ****". A whole forum killed by wankers like you. Wish Logans Run was a real world. People like you and Tindsley Dick Head would be long dead. If you are LHR, I will be happy indeed, I get paid more. I shot down a Brxeshiter to get the role and he was my boss in a previous employment. I enjoyed that. Steve Walsh, where are you? Congrats for putting the Jocks back in their box. What Air Mech was in the days before smokie and his shit got political. Air Mech as a Civvy Avition greet and help site please!
    Alber ma man, that's quite a promotion, going from "Alonso hater" to smokie bashing.

We gotta make the country work for the many, not the few...
    I love this job

BBC News: Sunday 02 February 2020;
    'Empathy' for independent Scotland joining the EU says Tusk

However he warned that any future entry bid on the part of an independent Scotland would not be automatically accepted - "formalities" and treaty agreements would still need to be adhered to.

• Herman Van Rompuy says Brexit 'has changed EU view of Scotland'
    • Scotland would 'seek a way back in' to EU
    • Johnson rejects Sturgeon's indyref2 demand

It came as other European leaders expressed sadness at the UK leaving the EU.
    French President Emmanuel Macron said he was "deeply sad" while the EU's Guy Verhofstadt pledged to try and "ensure the EU is a project you'll want to be a part of again".

Mr Tusk's comments come after his predecessor, Herman Van Rompuy, last year said he believes Brexit has changed EU attitudes to Scottish independence.

In a speech on Brexit day, Nicola Sturgeon said there was "real and profound sadness" felt by many Scots, also tinged with anger.

An independent Scotland would require the backing of all 27 EU members to join the trading bloc and there are a number of countries which have already applied and started accession negotiations.

The European Policy Centre think-tank, of which Mr Van Rompuy is president, last year published an analysis on independent Scottish membership of the EU.

It concluded that the EU should "engage positively" with Scotland in the event of independence, if there had been a properly constituted referendum.
    But it said Scotland could not expect "special treatment" and that the Scottish government would have to accept all the obligations of membership, including agreeing in principle to join the euro.
    Read More at: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-51342714

NS Comment: The Scottish clamour for returning to Europe needs to be reviewed objectively. Somebody not happy in a nuclear family of four will definitely find the going very hard as the latest arrival in a family of 28.
    I love this job

Thread Information