Thread: Brexit means Brexit

Default Re: Brexit means Brexit

Do you know what......... this is an excellent discussion and at times I find myself agreeing with both sides, but I just knew as soon as the Honda news was announced instantly it would be laid at the feet of Brexit. Soon, if it rains it will be down to Brexit.
    Dont forget, its an adventure, not a job!

Frankly I will be glad when its done and dusted either way!
    Dont forget, its an adventure, not a job!

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    Honda in Swindon is joining the ranks of Nissan who are bailing out due Brexit. After they leave, we should just ban the importation of their products from their new European bases.

Instead of all the cries about job losses in the motor industry, why are our investors and automotive designers not jumping at the opportunity to, at least, relaunch for home consumption?

Globalisation has cost us the loss of many homebred brands. We are emerging from the EU, not a nuclear blast, therefore we should simply roll up our sleeves and get back to doing what we know best.
    Right....so people are losing their jobs and your first instinct is to go on the attack instead of trying to figure where the fault could lie and deal with a root cause, even if it is not Brexit as it is potentially in Honda's case.

So theoretically we ban imports from any Honda and Nissan plants in Europe as your first strike in 38 days time. The EU response will be to ban imports from any UK plants now that we are out of the EU and do not have a trade or customs agreement (Current situation). The EU will also protect their members position and ban imports or impose tariffs on other UK produced products. You have also started a spat with Japan as the home country of Honda/Nissan. That trade agreement Brexiteers are so fond of throwing around has just been suspended and tariffs are imposed on all UK products heading to Japan. You've just alienated 2 of our biggest trade partners.

Meantime we are supposed to buy British products. So I'll nip off to my local British owned car dealer, Morgan, Caterham, McLaren .........actually here is the full list https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/cars-made-in-britain for my next car. Note how many of them are actually foreign owned and may review operations in the future post Brexit. JLR are laying off staff now and looking at a plant in Eastern Europe that in the future could be the main manufacturing plant due to tariffs and the customs union so they are off the list. Ford? Vauxhall? And because you have started a trade war with Japan they have moved all their manufacturing back to Japan or built a new plant in the EU because of the bigger market and better trading conditions.

No problem. I tootle off down to Coutts Bank and borrow a quick £50billion ???? to design, manufacture, build a factory after passing all the environmental assessments, purchase robots for the assembly line and arrange suppliers. Oh wait....most of the suppliers are in the EU and we haven't got a customs agreement so the just in time logistics goes out the window. No problem, I'll nip off to China and buy in bulk. Oh. Haven't got a trade a agreement with them (current situation) and will double the cost as I'm now having to ship stuff half way round the world including the steel you will need as the EU won't deal with you due to your self inflicted trade war and tariffs. I'll have to borrow some more ££££billion to set up a steel plant as well as Tata (Indian) can produce it cheaper overseas or in the EU and ship it quicker into the EU due to a customs union and less tariffs so moved production out of the UK. Meanwhile Coutts are asking for your business plan. What is your market? Not the EU as you have just barred their imported cars and they retaliated remember. Japan, unlikely. USA...no chance. China - wrapped up with their own products and various European brands manufactured locally or imported quickly from Japan. Coutts say no. You look overseas for funding but they all say no as there are better ideas and facilities, markets in the EU, China, Thailand, Japan. So how big is the UK car market as your only option due to your self inflicted trade war and you can shake off the British Leyland MK??? tag? Not everyone can afford a Mclaren, and a Caterham/Morgan will not suit a families needs, and those companies are niche manufacturers that rely on being able to import for their supply chain, but due to your self inflicted trade war with the EU they can't get enough parts, steel etc to come up with a new model so shut down.

Going well for the country this first strike business isn't it????

Trade agreements, of which we have very few of worth as our main agreements are currently between the EU and the third country, take years to negotiate and we will be in a weak position as the desperation will be palpable. The Trump's USA are keen to have an agreement with us....they can smell the blood already. Meantime, due to your first strike attitude, UK industry is struggling to trade with anyone and waiting for an agreement to get into the foreign markets. And you are suggesting banning imports as your first measure.....great starting point to enter negotiations. Gone are the days of trading tea, spices, rubber from our Empire around the globe. We already have a trade deficit and you think we can make that up by bringing production back on-shore but will no longer have the knowledge, trading links or investment from the EU or overseas? Financial services is the UK's biggest "product" these days and that will never employ the vast numbers who are being made redundant just in the car industry alone.

I seriously hope the heroes of the Brexit revolution have a better understanding of trade agreements and negotiation than Tinsley and NS, and realise that the "we can manage on our own, on-shore, trading on our own terms" in this inter-linked, trade agreement driven global industrial environment just isn't going to cut it.

To put it into our industry terms.....OneWorld, Sky Team, Star Alliance contain all the major world airlines are in effect EU's and look at the amount of control and market share they have by working together. VS had to get in bed with Delta and AF/KLM now to survive. Brexit is basically leaving an airline alliance to go it alone by losing all your revenue from connections and interlines and going back to just your own routes. Hope you guys aren't in airline management to boot!
    A modern day warrior

Thread Information