Thread: Footie Gists

Default Re: Footie Gists

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    Going back a long time, p'haps 1989, there was a dramatic FIFA Age-grade Finals hosted by Saudi Arabia. I recall that the Saudis were leading by at least 4-0 before the Nigerian lads woke up and got going. And won. Must try to dig that out from the archives later.
    Eureka. Got it. First, correction, the combatants were Soviet Union and Nigeria.

FIFA World Youth Championship, Saudi Arabia, 1989
    Quarter-finals, 25 February 1989
    Soviet Union 4-4 Nigeria [Nigeria win on penalties (3 - 5)]
    Soviet Union Goals

Sergei KIRIAKOV; 30', 58'
    Bakhva TEDEEV; 45'
    Oleg SALENKO; 46'

Nigeria Goals
    Christopher OHENHEN; 61', 75'
    Samuel ELIJAH; 83'
    Nduka UGBADE; 84'

Source: http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/matc....html#nosticky
    I love this job

No doubt a great game to watch depending which team being supported! Loses guaranteed employment in Siberia
    The Higher the Fewer

BBC Sport: Alan Pardew: Crystal Palace sack manager with club 17th in Premier League.

Pardew was appointed on a three-and-a-half-year deal in January 2015 but the 55-year-old has been dismissed after a run of one victory in 11 games.

Palace have taken just 26 points from the 36 Premier League matches they have played in 2016 and are only one point above the relegation zone.

Former England boss Sam Allardyce is the bookmakers' favourite to take over. The ex-Sunderland, Newcastle and West Ham boss is among those expected to be considered.

Chairman Steve Parish told BBC Sport: "We all bought into the decision to play a more expansive style of football. We all believed in it. That hasn't worked. It's no-one's fault. The players have been running their socks off for Alan, the spirit is good. But now we're going to wind the dial back the other way.

"We're talking to a number of people to make sure we get this right. Nothing has been agreed."

In a statement, Pardew said: "Personally I have a lot of good feelings for this football club and am sad that my time there has ended. I feel that I have a special bond with the club and hope that hasn't been affected," added the manager, who made more than 100 appearances for Palace as a player between 1987 and 1991 and led them to the FA Cup final last season.
    Sorry to see Alan Pardew go. Looking at his last two appointments, Newcastle and Crystal Palace, his arrival delivers a boost to his new clubs. He couldn't satisfy the Toon Army and they booed him out in 2015, but they got relegated all the same. His return to Palace in 2015 revived the team and they managed to coast home at the end of last season. The slide started a bit early this season and the board is right to seek a change now, if Palace is to remain in the EPL.
    I love this job

Monday 26 December 2016
    Premier League

Arsenal 1 - 0 West Brom <== Gunners struggle to crack the Baggies.
    Burnley 1 - 0 Middlesbrough
    Chelsea 3 - 0 Bournemouth <== Chelsea in a commanding mood.
    Hull City 0 - 3 Man City <== Man City jump to 2nd, till Liverpool play tomorrow.
    Leicester 0 - 2 Everton
    Man Utd 3 - 1 Sunderland <== Man Utd still in 6th place.
    Swansea 1 - 4 West Ham <== Hammers are back to good times.
    Watford 1 - 1 Crystal Palace <== Big Sam deprived of a winning start, but Deeney needed his 100th Watford goal.
    I love this job

Tuesday 27 December 2016
    Premier League

Liverpool 4 - 1 Stoke

The Reds produced a clinical display to see off Stoke and regain #2 slot behind Chelsea.

Swansea have sacked their American Manager Bob Bradley. Monday's 4-1 defeat by West Ham was the Swans' seventh in 11 games since Bradley took over 85 days ago on 3 October 2016. They are desperate to get a sweat merchant who may be able to save this dreadful season

From the Championship, Brighton hit three past QPR to go top of the Table following Newcastle's defeat by Sheffield Wednesday yesterday.
    I love this job

Wednesday 28 December 2016
    Premier League

Southampton 1 - 4 Tottenham <== Spurs got to keep winning to hang on to 5th spot. And hope the top 4 slip up.

Friday 30 December 2016
    Premier League

Hull 2 - 2 Everton <== Everton pegged back Hull twice.
    I love this job

Saturday 31 December 2016
    Premier League

Burnley 4 - 1 Sunderland
    Chelsea 4 - 2 Stoke City <== Chelsea beginning to play like Champions-in-waiting.
    Leicester 1 - 0 West Ham <== Vital win for Leicester to avoid relegation battle.
    Liverpool 1 - 0 Man City <== The Reds saw off fellow title contenders.
    Man Utd 2 - 1 Middlesbrough
    Southampton 1 - 2 West Brom
    Swansea City 0 - 3 Bournemouth
    I love this job

Sunday 01 January 2017
    Premier League
    :
    Arsenal 2 - 0 Crystal Palace <== Big Sam yet to make a significant difference at Palace.
    Watford 1 - 4 Tottenham <== Spurs displace Man City from Top 4.

Olivier Giroud's incredible scorpion kick got Arsenal the 1st goal against Crystal Palace.
    I love this job

Monday 02 January 2017
    Premier League

Everton 3 - 0 Southampton <== Saints are having a bad run of defeats.
    Man City 2 - 1 Burnley <== Man City are back to 3rd, until Arsenal and Spurs play their game in hand.
    Middlesbrough 0 - 0 Leicester
    Sunderland 2 - 2 Liverpool <== Defoe's brace of penalty goals cost the Reds 2pts.
    West Brom 3 - 1 Hull City <== Baggies getting good at coming from a goal down to win matches.
    West Ham 0 - 2 Man Utd
    Last edited by No Smoking; January 4th, 2017 at 23:12.
    I love this job

Tuesday 03 January 2017
    Premier League

Bournemouth 3 - 3 Arsenal <== 1pt would taste sweet to the Gunners as they fought back from 3-0 down after 58mins.
    Crystal Palace 1 - 2 Swansea City <== New Swansea boss Paul Clement got a winning start.
    Stoke City 2 - 0 Watford <== Stoke stopped their slide while Watford freefall continues.

Swansea's win tonight dumped Hull City to the bottom of the EPL Table. Hull City board announced the sack of head coach Mike Phelan after less than three months in the permanent role.
    Last edited by No Smoking; January 3rd, 2017 at 23:33.
    I love this job

Thread Information