Thread: Footie Gists

Default Re: Footie Gists

Wednesday 10 August 2016
    English Football League [EFL] Cup - Round One

Burton 1-1 Bury [Burton won 3-2 After Extra Time]
    Fleetwood 1-1 Leeds [2-2 After Extra Time. Leeds United won 5-4 on penalties]
    Luton 3-1 Aston Villa <== "Eastern" Villa dumped out by League Two side Luton
    QPR 1-1 Swindon [2-2 After Extra Time. QPR won 4-2 on penalties]
    I love this job

The EPL swung into action on August 13, with the defending champs Leicester making a losing start [1-2] to newly promoted Hull.

Newcastle lost again in the Championship. Moussa Sissoko. the France midfielder, is perhaps the last big name still at the club from last season's relegated side. He spoke out last week about his wish to move to Real Madrid. He was left out of this match against Huddersfield. Manager Rafa Benitez has brought in 8 new players so far to replace the departed stars. Rafa needs to start working his magic before the restless Toon Army get on his case.
    I love this job

Sunday 14 August 2016
    Premier League

Arsenal 3 - 4 Liverpool <== Gunners lose in 7-goal thrilla
    Bournemouth 1 - 3 Man Utd <== Winning start for Jose's Man Utd
    I love this job

New kids on the block, Burnley and Hull, are causing upsets. They secured 2-0 wins respectively over Liverpool and Swansea. These early points are vital for ultimate survival in the EPL.

In the Championship, Newcastle got their 2nd win today. That should appease the Toon Army.
    I love this job

Northampton, last season's League Two champions, are yet to win in the Sky Bet League One, having drawn all 4 matches played so far. But they are something else in the EFL Cup. In Round 1 they beat Barnsley of the Championship. In Round 2 played last night. Northampton dumped our Premier League side West Brom. A good Cup run is good for the bottom line, but if they wish to gain an immediate passage to the Championship they will need to start winning.

The other case of EFL Cup Round 2 banana-skin slippage saw Watford losing to Gillingham.
    I love this job

Celtic and Man City have sailed through the UEFA Champions League Qualifying Play-offs to join Leicester City, Arsenal and Tottenham in Thursday's draw for the Champions League group stage.

In tonight's EFL Cup Round 2 matches, Burnley and Middlesbrough tasted banana-skin slippage as they lost to Accrington and Fulham respectively.
    I love this job

West Ham suffered their first defeat at their new home tonight as they lost 0-1 to Romanian side Astra Giurgiu in the UEFA Europa League Qualifying Play-off. The Hammers are without their firepower due to injuries to Dimitri Payet, Andy Carroll, Manuel Lanzini and Andre Ayew.

The Hammers' exit from the Europa League leaves Manchester United and Southampton as the only English sides in Friday's draw. Both teams moved directly into the group stage after finishing fifth and sixth in the Premier League last season, above seventh-placed West Ham.
    I love this job

Roberto Martinez, former Everton boss, has replaced Marc Wilmots as Manager of Belgium at the start of August. Wilmots was sacked after Belgium were beaten 3-1 by Wales in the quarter-finals of Euro 2016.

Martinez took along Graeme Jones who served with him at Swansea, Wigan and Everton. Martinez has also secured the services of former Arsenal, Barcelona and France striker Thierry Henry, 39, as Assistant Manager of Belgium.
    I love this job

Sunday 04 September 2016
    FIFA World Cup Qualifying - European Region - Group F

Lithuania 2 - 2 Slovenia
    Malta 1 - 5 Scotland <== Jocks head Group F by Goals Difference
    Slovakia 0 - 1 England

Czech Rep 0 - 0 Northern Irelandy <== Group C
    I love this job

Haven't watched much football this new season, lack of enthusiasm, still getting over how poor England were in the Europeans!
    The Higher the Fewer

Thread Information