Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: working at Ryanair as a Line Engineer

Default Re: working at Ryanair as a Line Engineer

Ive a couple of chums who work for ryan air in Spain and Portugal.
    it is interesting that they are both connies and seem happy with their lot and always return for the high season.I also know 2 Irish B2s who worked as permies for Ryan air in Dub at different times and said it was bad were continually promised thing which didn't happen so both moved on.
    Has the mail steamer arrived?

Thank you lowfat. I have heard a horror story first hand from a connie who works for them at a busy location in sunny Spain and he has something like 24 aeroplanes to look after in an evening on his own. Maybe Ryanair do steel toe cap roller skates?

Roaming engineers are expected to pick up the shit at unmanned bases wherever required. They tell you "you won't need to travel very often" but effectively you'll get sent wherever and whenever they like. Also, they can be desperate to get you there, but pretty shit at sorting out things for you once the aircraft is serviceable. And forget direct flights-if they need you REALLY badly there's a Learjet, but if it's not too urgent you'll get sent via RYR network-a few lads one time took eighteen hours and 3 flights to get to their destination, and were expected to work a 12 hour shift on arrival, no hotel or accommodation sorted out (discovered this AFTER completing the shift) and were then left to sort things out themselves, with a four mile walk to the nearest town and no taxi (be aware some airports that RYR operate to are regional airports in the arsehole of nowhere!) The role SHOULD be extremely well paid considering the cost of AOG situations, but remuneration is average. Be careful which company contract it is-there are about six different company's working "in partnership with our client airline Ryanair". This is designed to (allegedly) minimise tax liabilities, and keep the airlines maintenance costs down. Also, it provides distance (allegedly) from any incidents occurring as a result of maintenance actions-it's been a third party carrying out the maintenance and the airline is not responsible for this, aside from their CAMO requirements (meaning if the paperwork is correctly completed they bear no responsibility). One side-effect of the tax-effective system is that you may be required to move to another base (read "country") every 6 months, as the company don't want to start dealing with tax liabilities if you've been resident in said country for longer than that. All this aside, there are some fantastic engineers across their network, and the lads in Maintrol at Dublin know what's what and can usually help out pretty quickly. There are also some ****ing cabbages across the network, the kind (allegedly) who'll pen things when placed under pressure or don't know how to deal with a particular issue. Be prepared also for the "hairdryer treatment" during the morning conference call-they don't take kindly to tech delays, and will leave you under no illusions about this. If you're considering a role with the company, I'd strongly recommend contracting with them-you'll be treated better, paid better, and it'll give you a good picture of things. As someone earlier in the thread pointed out, there's a few good reasons that they have bother filling vacancies! Best of luck, whatever ye decide to do!

As an ex the worlds favourite airline overseas engineer and well looked after. I definitely would have doubts working for Ryan. 24 aircraft in one night looked after by one guy, whoever that guy is he could get a job anywhere any time!!!!
    Last edited by Jarwot; February 7th, 2017 at 17:19. Reason: After thoughts
    The Higher the Fewer

I had 10 years on the line with Ryanair which finished recently. True, it's not as cooshy as BA or similar, but I can assure you no-one's ever has 24 A/C on their own.

The stories that rear their head on here every time Ryanair's mentioned never fail to amuse.

20 days holiday apparently. But not really. They class a days holiday as 8 hours of a shift, so you have to book 1.5 days holiday to get a day off.
    They make you pay for your airport ID, and even pay to use the staff car park at the airport. Tarining costs; the company will arrange a repayment schedule for any training you carry out whilst employed with them; so tyey want you to pay for your own type courses, refresher training, human factors, EWIS and FTS2? Unbelievable!!!
    Ever heard of any other company doing this; because in 24 years of working in Aircraft Maintenance I haven't!!! For that reason I'm out
    Last edited by jurassic73; February 11th, 2017 at 20:54. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by jurassic73 View Post
    20 days holiday apparently. But not really. They class a days holiday as 8 hours of a shift, so you have to book 1.5 days holiday to get a day off.
    Also Bank Holidays; you get 16 additional hours to compensate for Bank Holidays worked in a given year. How could that be seen as ok, or legal? Surely there are 7 bank holidays. If you worked any of them you would be working 12 hours on each occasion (1.5 holidays in Ryanair's twisted logic) 4 on 4 off shift should at least get you 3.5 of them 3.5x12=42 hours, not 16.
    They make you pay for your airport ID, and even pay to use the staff car park at the airport. Tarining costs; the company will arrange a repayment schedule for any training you carry out whilst employed with them; so tyey want you to pay for your own type courses, refresher training, human factors, EWIS and FTS2? Unbelievable!!!
    Ever heard of any other company doing this; because in 24 years of working in Aircraft Maintenance I haven't!!! For that reason I'm out
    Good. You have updated our general understanding there...
    I love this job

Thread Information