Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: FAA and EASA personnel maintenance licensing

Default Re: FAA and EASA personnel maintenance licensing

Quote Originally Posted by winglit
    Subjects such as wooden structures, dope and fabric and piston (recip) engines. The A&P theory tests are very much out-of-date. They don't go anywhere near the level of technology incorporated into modern jets.
    The FAA A&P syllabus resembled the ICAO Type II Basic AME Training. Text books produced by the Northrop Institute of Technology covered those subjects, as well as other Aircraft Systems like Electrics, Hydraulics, Pneumatics, Structures and Landing Gears. At my College we had a non-flying Chipmunk aircraft to perfect our Dope and Fabric practicals and piston engine Troubleshooting. A US Navy Training manual was great for sheet metal repairs. We had British authors Kermode for Aerodynamics and Pallett for Instruments. And, of course, the almighty UK CAA CAIP.

A College Diploma at the end of 2yrs confirms a successful completion of the ICAO Type II Basic AME Training with a minimum of 70% achieved in the written and practical exams. Preparation for UK CAA Licences would then be embarked upon, either in a College setting with live aircraft or whilst working as a grease-monkey at an airline or MRO.
    I love this job

FAA - reasons are 1. More flexibility 2. Less expensive - both initial issue and later servicing. 3. Validity - life long. 4. Less regulatory compared to EASA. I hold both - FAA A&P and EASA - Cat A + B2.

Quote Originally Posted by 400 Hertz View Post
    Why not write one on why the Degree you are working towards will not forward your career in Aviation?

I did that question for an assignment for the uni course that had the modules tied into it.. Never finished the degree. It isn't an ICAT question by any chance? LOL
    Alonso Hater

Quote Originally Posted by nwa916 View Post
    So you can certify work from a Cessna 172 to a B787 but your case want you to be type rated to sign of work on aircrafts you come across but courses in the UK cost am arm and leg in the States we do fam courses.me moving from the USA to Britton aviation is a nightmare so expensive for B1 exam no consideration for your FAA certificate even though the Easa exam is based on the FAA fat's .Why not make the exam less rather than 17 individual exams like the FAA A&P general , airframe and powerplant.
    Actually, nwa916, Europe, repesented by the JAA, and USA, represented by FAA, sat down to harmonise the Regulations which governed civil aviation in both countries. The target was to achieve a read-across commonality, as far as possible, in both the FARs and JARs. A harmonised Agreement on Regulations and Requirements made it easier and saved costs to obtain Type Certificates for aviation products manufactured on either side of the Atlantic.

EASA grew out of JAA, retaining all the good work done with the FAA and continuing to build on it.

Each nation in the aviation community formulates its Personnel Licensing protocol based on the ICAO syllabus. EASA serves as the Agent for the participating European aviation community. The EASA Part 66 syllabus and exam format is gaining preference around the world over the FAA A&P as more nations are adopting the EASA approach.
    I love this job

Well higher standards are harder to achieve.

higher standards are harder to achieve.
    ...but lower standards keep the Quality Auditors and Training Departments both in jobs.

I believe the criteria to obtain an FAR145 certificate is mostly harmonized with Europe because there is a bilateral agreement between the two authorities.

This means that an FAR145 can apply for an EASA145 repair station certificate and the cert is valid for as long as their FAR145 is valid. They follow the quality and audit procedures from the FAA and not EASA.

Let's say you work for a UK airline. Your aircraft flies to the States where it has a night atop. You can contract your maintenance to an EASA part 145 organization that only employs A&P mechanics. They can legally allow their mechanics to certify for their work on your aircraft with their A&P certificate. Now usually these mechanics will have at least completed a level 3 type rating course, but I'm not 100% sure that is mandatory.

But now you have two different level of basic licence education requirements IE Part 66 and A&P, certifying the same aircraft.

The only restriction is that these mechanics can only exercise these certification privileges within their own country.
    God created aircraft mechanics so that pilots can have heroes too.

Quote Originally Posted by winglit View Post
    I believe the criteria to obtain an FAR145 certificate is mostly harmonized with Europe because there is a bilateral agreement between the two authorities.

This means that an FAR145 can apply for an EASA145 repair station certificate and the cert is valid for as long as their FAR145 is valid. They follow the quality and audit procedures from the FAA and not EASA.......... .
    The corollary also applies. EASA Part145 MROs in Europe are also able to apply for FAA Part 145 approval to be able to release N-registered aircraft and Form 8130, using the appropriate EASA ratings.

Works beautifully when it comes to issuing dual releases for components. So you can have a serviceable Brake Unit, for instance, bearing an FAA Form 8130 and an EASA Form 1, signed by the same guy at an EASA Part 145 MRO.
    I love this job

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    The corollary also applies. EASA Part145 MROs in Europe are also able to apply for FAA Part 145 approval to be able to release N-registered aircraft and Form 8130, using the appropriate EASA ratings.

Works beautifully when it comes to issuing dual releases for components. So you can have a serviceable Brake Unit, for instance, bearing an FAA Form 8130 and an EASA Form 1, signed by the same guy at an EASA Part 145 MRO.
    Can't beat a bit of dual release.
    Alonso Hater

[QUOTE=No Smoking;154681]The corollary also applies. EASA Part145 MROs in Europe are also able to apply for FAA Part 145 approval to be able to release N

Yes, but I think an American airline can contract a European MRO to maintain their aircraft in Europe without obtaining an FAR145 certificate. They just need to employ A&P certified mechanics.

Therein lies the difference.

As you say an FAR145 is useful for component release, but not required for aircraft release.
    God created aircraft mechanics so that pilots can have heroes too.

Thread Information