Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat A 'Type' Approval theory training requirements

Default Cat A 'Type' Approval theory training requirements

After trawling through the usual EASA AMC/GM and CAA stuff, without success, I am trying to find out if a Cat A requires any classroom theoretical training on the ''Type rating'' he or she is applying for within their Part 145. It would appear that 'practical task training' on the areas the Company MOE publish applicable to their Cat A approval is all the lads in my Company are going to get. I am trying to persuade the Company to give them some decent training (Airbus 320) Gen Fam, at least, but would find it easier if I could find a snippet that advises this is required. Obviously these are not Type Ratings as such but even so I would be surprised if no theory training is acceptable. Any help is appreciated.

Default Re: Cat A 'Type' Approval theory training requirements

You don't need any theoretical classroom time for A tasks, just the practical training. (unless your company has written that requirement into its MOE)

That's not to say it wouldn't be a good idea though...
    Last edited by Dunny; April 17th, 2017 at 14:23.
    Eat more pies....2E0AUG

Thanks Dunny, it's scary when you think of what a Cat A can sign for, especially with a commercially driven QA department issuing Approvals........

It is possible to hold Cat A theory 'type' courses, in some companies. These can be a good benefit to those attending.

One or two forward thinking companies actually hold full Part-147 B level type courses for their more motivated Cat A staff.

Everybody wins!

Reminds of a Flight Safety Poster that said ''If you think training is expensive, try ignorance''. It would be helpful if EASA got off the fence and showed some common sense, lots of Companies these days will adopt the cheapest options. I wonder how many passengers would be happy to know the 'Mechanic' they see changing a wheel and brake on their Aircraft will have had no formal classroom training on the task, just 'done a few before'.

There's got to be some sense in the Cat A learning the tasks through hands-on, just like the FAA or CASA for example like to do it.

The difficulty, as we know, is that higher level training (relative to the authorisation held) can only lead to one thing - the possibility that someone would be tempted to perform maintenance tasks outside the scope of their license/authorisation.

For this reason, many training courses are dumbed down to the level required. An example would even be to not give training to B1 holders about workshop level procedures (possibly associated with engines) as this might encourage the suck it and see approach to maintenance, leading to problems. Engine manufacturers P&WC certainly are aware of this for their training and may omit some elements from EASA courses held in Europe. Over the water in Canada and USA, anything goes and the full course may proceed.

Increasing training levels can sound like a good idea, but the end result needs to be carefully reviewed. Classroom-based training where over complexity exists can lead to exam passes but without lasting system knowledge, and what's the point of that! Asking students a few months after the training will always produce a mixed bag of "dunnos" and "forgots" although it would nice to know that the fundamentals had been retained.

I'll get my coat....

Back in the day your A licensed man would get a level 2 course still there in the reg

A licenced mechs are the backbone of line maintenance, and we dont see the airplanes falling out of the sky.

Theoretical training or not, there are some excellent mechs out there.
    Eat more pies....2E0AUG

Big statement. Don't you mean they are the backbone of your operation?
    Last edited by Tinsley Green; April 18th, 2017 at 11:07.

if you aren't utilising A licenced mechs to their full potential, you are doing something wrong.
    Eat more pies....2E0AUG

Thread Information