Thread: Radio Licence

Default Radio Licence

Can anyone advise if we need an FRTOL Radio Licence when using the radio to call for engine runs for example?

Reading CAP 804 Part 1 it would appear anyone using a Radio Station does require a licence, I work at a major London Airport and I have never been asked about this, the Airport MADP course for tug drivers makes no mention of it and we are always calling the Tower for permission to ground runs engines, again never been asked about an RT Licence.

Am I reading CAP 804 incorrectly or should I stop transmitting (literally)??!!

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Default Re: Radio Licence

Having a Radio Telephony training, formal or informal, has been the norm over the years for ground maintenance crew, rather than holding a Licence. Training guarantees proper etiquette and discipline across the board.

CAP 804: Flight Crew Licensing, would require formal R/T training, exam and Licence for fly-boys.
    I love this job

Thanks No Smoking, I agree we have all been doing it for years with or without training, just seems like there is no formal information on non aircrew operating an aircraft radio station other than how you could interpret CAP 804 which states the requirement for an RT Licence 'Applies equally to ground crew and other persons who wish to operate to operate radio transmitting equipment licensed iaw and operating on frequencies listed in the Aircraft Radio License'

The more I read CAP 804 the more I think we need an RT license! Ah well I shall ask my boss to send me on a fully paid course.......!!

A bit of a grey area altogether. Can be a bit unnerving especially if you come across an unhelpful tower ground movement controller. Trying not to cut in on another aircraft communication, wanting permission to taxi an aircraft to the night stop stand area.
    The Higher the Fewer

The more I read CAP 804 the more I think we need an RT license! Ah well I shall ask my boss to send me on a fully paid course.......!!
    Bear in mind that CAP 804 is now only a reference document, superseded in Europe by EASA publications and in the UK by the new ANO 2016.
    I love this job

Not required by a B2 who held a BCAR radio licence. However, since JAR 66 watered down training and testing !
    Retired

Quote Originally Posted by tomb-boy View Post
    Not required by a B2 who held a BCAR radio licence. However, since JAR 66 watered down training and testing !
    Did the BCAR radio licence syllabus and exam include R/T training? I can imagine that the function test after replacing a VHF Com box could include chatting with the local Control Tower..
    I love this job

Thread Information