Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: New working practices and restructuring .

Default Re: New working practices and restructuring .

Yes there was the pension being stamped on but as nobody seemed to care much...
    Really? There will be a ballot later this month. People are losing hundreds of thousands of pounds in pension FFS!!

This is not a restructuring, its a pay adjustment. Once the pension issue is sorted, a collective agreement on pay may allow an adjustment to the total remuneration package. BA will then be free to recruit at the 'required' grade that matches industry standards.

Or not.................................

If its going to be a pay adjustment I cant imagine them paying any of the new FMAs any lower. Maybe a reshuffle of the budget, mechs lower, LAEs higher, LMA-??.

What the Hells going on at BA .No spares not enough staff and no actual planning , and all the managers are doing is moving the useless managers from one spot to another as if that's going to fix anything , we seem to have inherited some cretins at the top table as things have gone from bad to worse as far as engineering is concerned . I don't see any extra money coming in as the man at the top is cutting back on everything and that's why we are losing more certifying staff and don't forget we need the right kind of engineer not just the ones that can pass exams .

I second that statement Chimaera.

The older staff are retiring early because they have lost all faith and are sick of the endless management games, the younger are going because they see no future andonce the pension goes those in the middle will leave to take up better offers.

All too many of the new licence holders are 'academic engineers' with little or no experience and many lacking the basic knowledge and skills that a licence holder should have. And these will be the people that BA engineering will increasingly have to rely on. Heaven help a once great company brought low by poor management.
    Er,I never touched it - it came off in me hand

So, what would you do Botch?

Quote Originally Posted by Botch Casually View Post
    The older staff are retiring early because they have lost all faith and are sick of the endless management games
    The older staff are retiring early because they can and well done to them.

ll too many of the new licence holders are 'academic engineers' with little or no experience and many lacking the basic knowledge and skills that a licence holder should have.
    Why do you think it was better back in the day? I would say nostalgia and ignoring that the subject matter is far deeper and broader today. You have to know old tech still, plus new tech.

Heaven help a once great company brought low by poor management.
    BA were always shit, Bcal drove the wages up (provocation)

Well Litebulbs,

Many of the older staff still like working with aircraft and enjoy the craic with their younger colleagues. Had things not become so deplorable they would have continued on and not left early. This I get from talking to them. As with anywhere there are always some who can't wait to leave regardless and good luck to them.

Nostalgia, no. I agree the subject matter is broader and in most,(not all), cases deeper today. The problem lies in the testing being almost exclusively multi guess. This leads to learning the question set and not the syllabus. The result is a profound lack of basic knowledge which coupled with little or no experience produces a dangerous mix. Should a B1 and B2 licence holder know nothing about split hubs, why you depressurise a tyre before removing the wheel, not know what a Kruger flap is and be talking about locking wire having 'work hardened on the reel', to say nothing about abuse of his tools. That character is not unique. Don't get me wrong Litebulbs I have nothing against young people and things have to change to meet the times. However the system is failing and the licence system is not turning out consistent acceptable quality engineers. Yes some of these young men are knowledgeable and have a level of experience which makes them competent engineers - but far too many do not. If you are happy with what you see where you are well good luck, but in good conscience I can not say that what I see where I am is fully acceptable.

I do not agree that BA has always been shit. I have worked with some fine engineers in some well run sections over the years. There are still a great number of good engineers here doing their best to keep the now rickety cart on the road. But sadly it is shit now and I don't think the management really have a clue what to do.

So there you are Litebulbs you have rattled my cage and your provocation worked.

Oh as for what I would do. I would close the training school and contract it out as it is seriously poor quality, mainly caused it must be said by management penny pinching. Good training costs but it is essential to secure the future. Secondly Mr Cruz needs to go as he is pi##ing our passengers not to say the staff off. I would also allow shift managers to take full responsibility for and manage their sections. Bin all the Operations managers and other sundry non productive hangers on. Sack any planner without aircraft experience. Most importantly get some, (many more), competent people into quality, give them clout and let them roam the patch and listen into all the planning meetings etc. That will do for day 1.

Did I say sack any one who ever worked or traveled on BCAL?
    Last edited by Botch Casually; January 22nd, 2018 at 15:25. Reason: adding what I would do

Interesting views Botch.

I take it your view is section L licensing or back to type ratings? I think the current system will deliver engineers with the correct knowledge and the ICAO is moving towards a more competency based approached to initial and continuing assessment ( https://www.icao.int/SAM/Documents/2...20Amdt%204.pdf ) and this is where EASA gets it's steer.

BA are not shit, never have been and never will be, but I agree, the HR influence needs to be pushed back to being personnel, as you need to understand the environment and workplace that you create.

We were all young once and I know some brilliant 20 something engineers and some awful 50 year old's (that's my mirror for ya).

I agree with the planners and proper quality inspectors, independent of all influence and maybe voted in by employees that will be inspected by them??

No Litebulbs, not section L, it's had it's day. The content of the new licence is fine it is the implementation that worries me. As I said there are many who learn the answers not the syllabus. Either an essay question for each module or a final oral exam, or both, might help relieve the problem. Like you I know many very capable people who passed under ***** but the leavening of the dangerously incompetent is just too high with the current system. It doesn't matter to me how they get there but it matters that they have competency and integrity if the worst is not to happen. I have spent my whole working life seeing that our passengers travel safely and that's all that motivates me.

The oral, na; it is just a chat with someone and that someone passed me at 21. It was August, 30 degrees in the pre Belgrano building; he had just come back from playing squash, I got my name wrong and we both gave up trying to draw a paralleling circuit.

Penalty marking, now that is the baby. If you know it, answer, if you don't, don't guess.

I do remember it, it is etched into my mind...

Thread Information