Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ADD status when MEL revision affects open defect.

Default ADD status when MEL revision affects open defect.

Here is one I can't seem to find the definitive answer for...

When a new revision of an MEL comes out what happens with an open ADD that is affected by this revision? So for example if you had MEL item that became more restrictive with the new revision, how do you treat the open ADD? Can you leave it alone and fix as normal before it runs out based on the previous MEL revision or do you have to review these open ADD's and act on the more restrictive new limit?

Most people I ask say 'oh yes don't worry it can run on the Revision date it was raised on' or similar words to that effect, they are usually not the people signing the Daily of course. I would like to think it's written down somewhere but I cannot find anything that covers this. Any thoughts anyone?

Default Re: ADD status when MEL revision affects open defect.

Have a look in the part M CAME there should be a procedure covering defects and ADD management, if its not there ask your CAM

Is there a requirement in the Daily Check to review any outstanding deferrals and ensure they are within the time limits specified in the current MEL?

If there is then your answer is there.

I will ask the CAMO but wanted to be fore armed as they say! The Daily does ask for a review of ADD's and the ADD example I refer to would show out of kilter with the current MEL revision however the Airline will say that's ok due to it being raised on a previous revision. Crew will be confused too but will mostly roll over I suspect when told same story. When reading the CAMO stuff, MEL preamble and EASA MMEL blurb can find no reference to this issue.

My gut feeling is the current open ADD's must reflect the current MEL revision and each time a new MEL rev comes out the Airline should review any open ADD's that might be affected by the new revision............ they don't seem to tho!

however the Airline will say that's ok due to it being raised on a previous revision
    Bet if the new Revision was less restrictive the Airline would say implement it NOW!

One needs to review IAW the latest documentation always. The revised MEL could have been based on an Airworthiness Directive or an Alert SB affecting the aircraft configuration.
    I love this job

I agree and the AD or SB status is where it gets tricky and that's why a review by the Operator is the least they should do. I can't see how you could release the A/C if you knew something was out of compliance.

Guess there is always a manager wanting to chose the easy route. It can be a difficult job convincing some that rules have to be followed. Best bet for an answer is contact your CAA guy. One time a manager was informed that the next visit (first at base) by the aircraft would require some ground time to change a navigation box , so a slower turnaround. Manager was so difficult and tried to disregard the advice. He said he needed Quality to contact the CAA to get an exemption. Which was fun as the CAA needed to know the whole picture and not at all happy. Contacted the manager and informed him that the CAA would not agree and if he had any problems not following the rules he should contact the CAA himself. Once the dust had settled it turned out this manager had refused to go down an AOG route when getting the spare due to cost. So ended up with a grounded aircraft
    The Higher the Fewer

When you certify iaw an “approved publication” (MEL/AMM) etc then you are doing so with the document in force at that time. Should a document change or be revised then the OEM/National Authoruty/EASA/FAA etc will provide a notification (Alert) if one is required. Unless you are informed otherwise the aircraft was certified iaw the document in force at that time. Example being: you torque load a bolt on the Monday and the next AMM revision comes out on the Tuesday. You do not read the AMM from front to back for changes? The torque may have changed, however the previous mentioned bodies will inform the owner/operator if anything significant or relating to flight safety (continued airworthiness) is warranted.

When you certify iaw an “approved publication” (MEL/AMM) etc then you are doing so with the document in force at that time.
    I agree, however when the ADD remains open and not rectified, you come along and certify a Daily and the open ADD is out of compliance due AD or SB how can you certify a Daily? When you carry out an AMM task it is set in stone at that revision but with an open ADD?.......

I think I will go to the CAA and see how many different answers I can get from them!!

It should be written down somewhere as an MEL ADD is unique as it 'crosses over' a new revision and may differ in significance with the new revision.

If the MEL for the deferred defect in force is directly changed, surely if it is an operational admendment (that directly affects the flight crew and will be up to them to carry out the revisioned MEL action, the defect is still the same and within the MEL scope). If there is a change in the maintenance action (say a first flight of the day maintenance check incorporated), that will have ramifications in additional work recording (say an OOPI requirement, that will either be a Tech Log register or Maintrol/LMC driven event). If the deferred defect has additional limitations added (say for other systems being inop that negates the MEL), certainly that is going to require investigation. I assume you are talking about an actual revision change that has a change in maintenance or operation effect, not a complete removal of the MEL deferal (that the crew should pick up straight away of course).
    Alonso Hater

Thread Information