Thread: Type Application without Practical

Default Type Application without Practical

Hi there,
    Just wondering if itís still possible to apply for a Type Rating (not the first obviously), without having the practical like it was some years ago, Iím asking this because at the CAA website still mentions the following:
    ďCertified true copies of the logbook/worksheets showing evidence of the practical maintenance experience gained (if Practical elements not completed) certified by your Quality ManagerĒ
    Is this always the case, or some conditions should be met? (i.e. Theory from before X day or something)
    Appreciate any recent experience on this regard.
    Cheers

Default Re: Type Application without Practical

Quote Originally Posted by UK-AME View Post
    Hi there,
    Just wondering if it’s still possible to apply for a Type Rating (not the first obviously), without having the practical like it was some years ago, I’m asking this because at the CAA website still mentions the following:
    “Certified true copies of the logbook/worksheets showing evidence of the practical maintenance experience gained (if Practical elements not completed) certified by your Quality Manager”
    Is this always the case, or some conditions should be met? (i.e. Theory from before X day or something)
    Appreciate any recent experience on this regard.
    Cheers
    I never knew a time when practical experience as logged on worksheets/logbooks was not required by the CAA prior to Licence extension.
    I love this job

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    I never knew a time when practical experience as logged on worksheets/logbooks was not required by the CAA prior to Licence extension.
    Maybe Iím not being clear:
    Iím talking about adding a new type without having a Certificate from a 147 MTO for the Practical, only Theory. Not about the experience that goes on the Form 19. Is this still possible?

Right. By the statement on the CAA website, it is acceptable to present Part 147 Theory Certificate plus Part 145 logsheets signed and stamped up.

Just hurry before it goes fuzzy with Brexit..
    I love this job

Commission Regulation EU no 1321/2104, Subpart C, 147.A.200 (a) states : The approved basic training course shall consist of knowledge training, knowledge examination, practical training and a practical assessment.

I'm guessing after November 2014 when this came into force, your training should comply with the above.

You'll be facing an uphill struggle if you try and apply with anything other than a Theory and a Practical certificate.
    Last edited by Dunny; August 3rd, 2018 at 18:54.
    Eat more pies....M0NCL

Without seeing the context, I'll hazard a guess that the above statement is applicable to limitations removal from a particular type. Worksheets may be accepted in lieu of a Part-147 practical cert depending on the limitation to be removed.

To get a new type, Theory and Practical 147 certs are a must, unless the CAA agrees otherwise in a particular case or circumstance.
    I'm a very persuasive person. I can convince myself of anything.

There isn't enough information to answer your question, what is the aircraft type, Group 1, 2 or 3
    B1.1, B1.2, B1.3, B1.4

Quote Originally Posted by BluFin View Post
    There isn't enough information to answer your question, what is the aircraft type, Group 1, 2 or 3
    B1.1, B1.2, B1.3, B1.4
    Thanks for the answers:
    I guess the best explanation is the one that mentions the exclusion removal from a Type, hard to find a limitation removal practical.
    Iím B2/C with types and B1.1 without type, and the four types that I actually have in my licence were all different kind of applications over the years.
    For instance Iíve included one type in 2012 with Theory and logbook sheets only.
    The one now is a type ďdifferencesĒ course (one Engine to another, same type) and the Practical is for the two Engine options, so I guess Iíll be fine.
    And Iíve been told that the Practical will reset my Recency too (The infamous 6 months on the last two years period), so thereís that too.
    Very useful answers here, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by UK-AME View Post
    Thanks for the answers:
    I guess the best explanation is the one that mentions the exclusion removal from a Type, hard to find a limitation removal practical.
    I’m B2/C with types and B1.1 without type, and the four types that I actually have in my licence were all different kind of applications over the years.
    For instance I’ve included one type in 2012 with Theory and logbook sheets only.
    The one now is a type “differences” course (one Engine to another, same type) and the Practical is for the two Engine options, so I guess I’ll be fine.
    And I’ve been told that the Practical will reset my Recency too (The infamous 6 months on the last two years period), so there’s that too.
    Very useful answers here, thanks
    Hope you'll be back to update us on how it goes for you, so we can understand further.
    I love this job

If you are looking to remove type limitations then you will need to supply a Part 147 theory training certificate for that type with either a practical or worksheets, But it will need to be a Part 66 or JAR cert, not an old A & C. The CAA do not apply the 3 year validity to certificates for limitation removal as its a National limitation. If you need any clarification then pop an email to ELDWEB. Lims removal can be quite specific so there is not a lot of generic material published.
    CAP805 should be out soon which will give a better understanding of CAA requirements with regard to licensing

Thread Information