Thread: TUI Investigating Case of Pax Flown Without Seats

Default TUI Investigating Case of Pax Flown Without Seats

ATW Online; Monday 14 January 2019
    TUI investigates incident of passengers flown without seats

TUI Group’s UK airline has launched an investigation into an incident in which three passengers with paid tickets, seat assignments and boarding passes had to sit on the aircraft floor because their seats did not exist.

The BBC and other UK media have reported that the family of parents and their young daughter who were flying from Mahon in Menorca to Birmingham in the UK, boarded the aircraft and found that their three seats in row 41 did not exist.

When they pointed this out to flight crew, they were offered the only free seat for the child and two flip-up seats in the crew area for the adults.

But after takeoff, the crew area was needed for service trolleys, so the parents were asked to give up their flip-up seats and move to the floor space where their seat should have been. Their daughter joined them on the floor for the entire flight, with everyone returning to the temporary seats for landing.

The incident happened several months ago, but did not get media exposure until this week when it became the subject of a British TV program. Photographs taken during the flight and showing the passengers sitting on the floor have been widely distributed.

A TUI UK spokesperson said: “Unfortunately, a last-minute aircraft change meant that the seats the family was originally assigned were unavailable, as the alternative aircraft had a different seating configuration. Were also sorry for the way the situation was initially handled and we’ll be investigating this. We will also be contacting the customers directly to apologize and will be offering a full refund.”

The incident has been brought to the attention of the UK Civil Aviation Authority, which does not permit passengers to not have seats on any commercial flight.

By: Victoria Moores
    NS Comment: The flight crew and cabin crew on the day were resourceful in solving the situation brought about by the aircraft substitution.
    I love this job

Default Re: TUI Investigating Case of Pax Flown Without Seats

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    ATW Online; Monday 14 January 2019
    TUI investigates incident of passengers flown without seats

NS Comment: The flight crew and cabin crew on the day were resourceful in solving the situation brought about by the aircraft substitution.
    Bar the safety of the passengers was compromised. Insurance valid? Accident to them by turbulence etc would be looked on badly by the courts. Insurance invalid? If the plane hasn't got the seats , some one has to get bumped. They get compensated. Crew fcuk up, there is no it will do a trip about it.
    Alonso Hater

Between the option of getting offloaded or jump seats/sitting on the floor I know which one I would pick, and I have many times with staff travel!

Quote Originally Posted by 326 View Post
    Between the option of getting offloaded or jump seats/sitting on the floor I know which one I would pick, and I have many times with staff travel!
    You are not likely to post a degoraty post online as staff are you! They put self loading freight onboard outside of regulations. It is not a willdoatrip solution is it?Would they take pax if there was seats out with an MEL you had raised? They sodding would not have! What you and I do to get home is company business, legal or illegal. That logic does not exist in cases like this.
    Alonso Hater

Completely agree commercial pax shouldnt be sitting on floor, but a jump seat is fine. Rubbish for customer experience but certified seats for TToL and flight. Assuming the pax would be moved back to a seat with a harness in the event of fasten seat sign/turbulence. Its not a case of not enough seats, its not enough of the right kind of seats.

Quote Originally Posted by 326 View Post
    Completely agree commercial pax shouldnt be sitting on floor, but a jump seat is fine. Rubbish for customer experience but certified seats for TToL and flight. Assuming the pax would be moved back to a seat with a harness in the event of fasten seat sign/turbulence. Its not a case of not enough seats, its not enough of the right kind of seats.
    Reputation of the Airline and Safety above all other considerations. Yes, the jump seat is certified for anyone to sit in it, but pax should have been able to use them all the time. If it stops customer service, well, the other pax take the hit. Unsatifactory situation all around.
    Alonso Hater

The jump seat solution had merits. The affected family couldn't use them during the meal service only. If the FSB warning came up during the meal service, the hosties could/would have halted the service to let the family return to the jump seats.
    Eez kut, yez..

Sitting on the floor sounds like a ME flight making sure everyone gets to be a pilgrim
    The Higher the Fewer

Quote Originally Posted by Defense La Fumer View Post
    The jump seat solution had merits. The affected family couldn't use them during the meal service only. If the FSB warning came up during the meal service, the hosties could/would have halted the service to let the family return to the jump seats.
    In an emergency with seconds making the difference? Safety is above all in the airlines I have worked for. Do you have the same considerations or yours too big to care?
    Alonso Hater

Wouldn’t have happened in Britannia days.
    Giz a job!

Thread Information