7 87.50%
  • No

1 12.50%
  • Not sure

0 0%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: Stripping Away Someone's Nationality

Default Re: Stripping Away Someone's Nationality

litebulbs you have been following a flawed logic from the start. Read very carefully the link you posted. she has been british and bangladeshi from birth. What you seem to be referring to is the certifcate needed to hold 2 PASSPORTS not to have dual nationality.

also you cannot be clearer than this legal statement from a lawyer:
    it is abundantly clear that Ms Begum is legally a citizen of Bangladesh until she attains the age of 21 years. Thus, the claims of the Government of Bangladesh and some others that Ms Begum is not a Bangladeshi citizen owing to the fact that she does not hold a Bangladeshi passport or any other proof of citizenship, has never submitted any application for dual nationality, and has never visited Bangladesh, have no legal basis. Therefore, as of February 2019, Ms Begum is legally a Bangladeshi citizen. Consequently, the decision of the Home Office to deprive her of her British citizenship does not legally render her stateless. Hence, the measure is not unlawful insofar as the issue of statelessness is concerned.
    The above also aligns fully with the document you posted.

prior to becoming 21, she, under other circumstances, would have had to choose what she wanted to do. The decision has now been taken for her. You may not like it, you may not agree with it but its legal. Due process was followed and nobody is stateless.

Your link is very clear in her case, bangladeshi since birth, through blood (jus sanguinis), due to father. nothing illegal but unpopular possibly. although no votes against this on the poll so far.

So really I don't see what you are trying to prove apart from you don't understand how dual nationality works in real life. I suspect Tom Sawyer did not have a blood right to his 2nd nationality. Makes a big difference although it is dependent on the country.

I will have a read but in the end my guess I will be just as confused as I am now. Much the same as the terrible event in NZ no one wants senseless killing. But there again the reactions to this and many such events have a completely different effect depending on which side of the divide. From my understanding atrocities by one group generates courses of de-radicalisation no labelling of perpetrators. From the other group there are many labels- Far Right, thugs, and Racists. No chance of a course!!
    The Higher the Fewer

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsley Green View Post
    litebulbs you have been following a flawed logic from the start.
    No I have not. A passport is a maner of identifying nationality, it does not confer it.

YOU HAVE NOW GONE COMPLETE CIRCLE AND CONTRADICTED YOURSELF: (didn't notice caps lock)

Well Tinsley, after doing some research with the links you provided and Googling your cut and pastes, you may have a point in line with this view which is maybe your source of info? - https://www.ejiltalk.org/shamima-beg...zen-after-all/ . The only proviso I would put on this is that Bangladeshi Citizenship laws appear to be a mess with many open avenues depending on which a different lawyer may argue from a different point of law or perspective - in other words each individual case needs to tested in a court or tribunal. Indeed, even in the comments after the article, the author on 14 March admits there could be other factors in play and some terms used are not recognised by international laws. Your assertion that she is Bangladeshi may not be 100% correct, but neither is mine that she is stateless due to the actions of the UK Government be 100% correct until either view is ruled on in her case. But either way, you have a valid point which is due consideration.

So, your post was informative to me. Why you had to spoil it with some abuse at the end does you a disservice.
    Last edited by Tom Sawyer; March 17th, 2019 at 04:02.
    A modern day warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Tinsley Green View Post
    YOU HAVE NOW GONE COMPLETE CIRCLE AND CONTRADICTED YOURSELF: (didn't notice caps lock)
    I think you missed the point.

Thread Information