Thread: 11 September

Default 11 September

11 September 2001 we were an hour and a half from landing in the US. The blond female captain of the 747 on learning I was in aviation had invited me up to the cockpit. I asked if I could go up once my 5 year old grandson had woken but that never happened because in the meantime the Twin Towers had been attacked. I was possibly the last member of the public to be invited onto the flight deck of a trans atlantic British Airways flight!

11 September 2004 I was working a short contract in maintenance with a flying school.

11 September 2006 I heard one of the aircraft I had worked on in the flying school had crashed with the death of the passenger a good friend of the pilot and he, the pilot, was very luck to have survived.I made contact with the policeman on scene, told him who I was and asked a few questions. Following this I awaited the crash report.

03/2007 The official crash report was released. I read it though a couple of times and then in detail I couldn’t believe the contents. The report appeared to be based on a line drawn on a chart but more unnerving was the fact the AAIB was saying that the pilot who had aborted a flight due to bad weather (he was already in the air) had returned to the airport of departure - refuelled and taken off heading towards high ground and cloud!

I contacted AAIB asking if I could have details in order to contact the investigator/s. The questions I wanted to ask was about his experience - Was he a pilot? Was he acquainted with the flying characteristics of the particular aircraft model? This was refused and after further mail in which I pointed out I had information which had not come to light I was told the case was closed, without ANY question to who I was and what information I had which I felt could be on interest. This not only shocked me but removed all respect I had for the AAIB. That for the CAA was lost a long time before!

From there started a period of asking questions none of which have been answered. I am getting on in years now but I have to get my side of the story out not only for closure from my point of view but as I said in my communication to the AAIB - I believe I have information which could absolve the pilot of blame for the accident and death of his friend! I have no idea if the pilot is still living but I feel I owe it to him and his family. To be judged guilty of causing anyones death must in itself be a tragedy.

What, me worry!

Default Re: 11 September

Hello beesarr, good to hear from you after these many years.

You did bring your story on board Airmech years back. We prodded you for details but you were quite evasive at the time.

From your latest narrative, are you saying that AAIB investigated a fatal crash without inviting you as a certifying LAE on the machine to make an input? Well, if the clues they found did not point to any maintenance shortcoming, then maybe they didn't want to waste their own nor your time?
    I love this job

Hello No Smoking, you remember me. Yes I was the one who asked for a Safety & Legal thread after becoming completely disillusioned with the British CAA and AAIB standards or lack of. Nothing has changed regarding that aspect.

Hard to believe 16 years have passed, so much water has passed under the bridge and no doubt you like me have aged. My post was dedicated to all who died on 11 September and I hope by the end of the year my experience will become known and people will be able to judge for themselves. I will add just one word which you mentioned 'If' - Regards.
    What, me worry!

There you go, you have a Christmas Special coming up? TV docu?
    I love this job

No Smoking, can I ask the aspect of aviation you are/were in? Pilot - tech - air traffic?
    What, me worry!

Easa B1
    Last edited by No Smoking; September 14th, 2021 at 22:25.
    I love this job

Thread Information