Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: JAR 66 Passes??

any computer at work ooops did i say that

Default Re: JAR 66 Passes??

hi all! i to am doing a ***** from scratch i have passed 6 out of the 14 required for a b1 and have been doing it for about a year i find the exams hard going but mainly because the questions overlap so much from module to module
    other than that a good book sorts out most problems oh and a lot of reading!!!!!

After Burner,

Have a look at ***** club. I found their Module 8 revision questions very useful and passed first time. Well worth the tenner!

HI ben
    I have cleared three mods.but i did not meet any person completed b1/b2 from scratch.
    bye
    shahzad757@yahoo.co.uk

So it appears that no one has actually obtained a full licence on this new system yet.....interesting.

Ben,
    I understand your frustration but just because there has not been a positive reply to your original question you should not presume that no-one has gained a full B2 licence, as you call it, from scratch! I am BCAR section L 'X' Elec. Inst, Auto, studying for full B2. Passed Module 8 , failed module 13 by 2%. resit next month. If you'd like the easy route, take my advice. I work on a contract in Saudi for a french company, none are licensed, military job, no need for a licence, BUT send your bits of papers into the head office and Hey Presto! a full 66 Licence. No exam, no knowedge of leg., human factors etc etc. none of these guys were licensed before and said that having attended a type course that was a licence. I personally disagree but i am in the same crew room, already licensed through hard work, and studying for a full B2, when all the others have a B2 and laughing at me as obviously i'm getting the rough end of the stick! So much for an equal european licence! And, yes, i tried the short cut, but not allowed, not french! Going to buy me a big hoover though, stick it in my ears, suck out my brains, eat anything alive crawling around in the garden and walk around saying ' haw haw haw'. Then I might get a B2!! ie The tick in the box to what i've been doing for years. sorry to go on but listen, ***** is unfair, UK are grinding the guys, the other member states are giving them away. take care, i presume you're reasonably young, maybe aviation isn't a lucrative career anymore. Too late for me - old B*****d.
    All the best
    Steve

Hi chaps and chapess...
    Ok, so our friend in Europe get their B1/B2 for the asking, we know that, they know that, indeed the CAA know that, that is not in dispute, what’s more I have just been in Europe, and the employer //European Company//specifically asked the agency to find engineers with….. gess what? …. UK-CAA *****, of course there was not enough engineers available. The agency resorted to out source from Europe, and during my stay with the company I asked the Boss //he is European also//, Why did he insist on UK qualified engineers?, he explained that for example when he asked the European (full b1/b2) any tech problem, the response was, “I will look it up in the MM”, he said also, “I asked similar Q to UK qualified engineers, they gave me the answer strait away”, he added, “being an airline with short turn-round, have no time to look up MM for every defect no matter how small it is”, I felt gratified being UK-CAA Licensed .

The essence of this situation is that at the end of the day, you either know your stuff, or you scratch your head. Employers need results more than //rubber stamps// havens knows, there are a lot. So the more the CAA places demands on you to pass your exams, the better standing you gain in your carriers. My quarrel with the CAA is that there are not being stringent enough in the process, e.g. No oral exams to filter out the //men from the boys//, //girls, excuse this quotes//, No essay, Multi-guess that is known to many, No control on the JAR147, etc. If this situation to continue, and escalate, then our qualification will be meaningless.

oltimer hold your horses,

basic engineering skills one learns. AMM, FIM etc. one consults every time a problem arises.

cheers

Noted,…… you are quite right, but in the General and not “every time.” Once you know a system, and if you are familiar with, e.g.737-800 will find that you do not need to consult MM,FIM to know what happened if the pilot report A/T white light is ON, or if there is constant 20kts AS between p1 and p2 etc.

To continue my story, …. our friends the European b1/b2 where put to ……… ………… etc., and all the intricate Avionics defects were left to the CAA Qualified chaps to resolve, for expedience. If the CAA keep diluting the system then eventually we will lose the current reputation, at least in the eyes of the European employers.

Oldtimer,
    I take your point but where have you seen a job advertisement for a JAR 66 guy, must be UK! I haven't and check the sites regularly! Lots of JAR 66 etc but no distinction as to who the issuing authority is!!

And another thing, regardless of your familiarity with the aircraft, when you certify a job, you do it IAW the MMA. It doesn't matter if you know the defect through experience, the rules say you must refer to the books. So, are our European brethren doing anything wrong? Yes, I know, a good tech has practically diagnosed the problem before the pilot reaches the Tech Log but who is right. Fixes on the spot are usually down to commercial pressure, not engineering. Personally, I am not happy about having to do the whole exam thing again but I get very annoyed seeing them getting handed out in lucky bags for some,and I for one, haven't seen any distinguishment between them for the jobs going!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information