Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Employment after graduation

Question Employment after graduation

I am really interested in how people who leave Kingston University with a degree/Licence get on in the market place. It's the full time students that interest me more as the part timers are usually in employment already.

Has anyone got any feedback? There was an article in the Tech Log (ALAE mag) by one of the graduates but he didn't appear to have much luck.

I would appreciate any responses.

Thanks

Default Re: Employment after graduation

Overall, take up in Universities has reduced significantly over the past few years, but apparently student numbers have increased for some reason in the Aero Eng sector. Meanwhile, aero eng based apprenticeship schemes seem to be on the increase (in Scotland anyway).

What you might be better asking is a similar question to employers. "Why do you not take degree qualified engineers into your business?" Could it be that they often have an unproven track-record, or that they have no idea of the practical hands-on work, or expect film-star wages for their hard-earned degrees? Ask a number of them how to change the brake pads on their car and they will be stumped (their Dad's probably do it for them).

The obvious question to students is "You now have a degree, do you intend to do any work on aircraft with this qualification?" Answer is usually no!

How anyone can do a degree (or HNC/HND route for that matter) and come out of it with an almost worthless bit of paper, ignoring requests from industry for EASA Part-66 qualifications seems very strange to me. Often, the opportunity was there for these guys (and gals) to take the EASA exams, but they chose (or were told) not to.

The problem is a lack of understanding of the industry and how it works by a number of bodies, the results are highly qualified ASDA shelf-stackers. The only reason that these might be employed in the aero industry would be lower wages. Why employ a degree-qualified 'C' certifiier when he'll probably get bored and move on to a design department within a few months, again, starting at the very bottom.

My answer would be a turn-around in thinking of the academic world to more in line with what the industry needs. This needs to be at the highest level. The results are jobs for everyone, and people that can build a career in the aviation industry.

Students are better off at the moment joing an apprenticeship scheme around age 17, than wasting time on a degree course. Of course, there may well actually be someone out there who has got a job based on their aero degree!

Wow! You thought about that didn't you?!
    I think that the universities are not producing what we want out here, but they're not telling the students this fact before they enroll. This is good business sense because they wouldn't get any students enrolling if they thought they could not secure subsequent employment!
    I also feel that the lack of responses to this thread by degree holders may be indicative of their rarity!

I have bumped into a few degree holders over the past few months. They are out there, but perhaps they have not yet got 5 smiley faces on their overalls or the key to the shelf-stacker supervisors office computer. Hence no replies.

Some aviation and engineering companies are trying to turn this situation on it's head by going out to the teachers, schools and colleges (not universities as far as I know) to let them know what the industry needs. I know that our company has attended careers evenings at schools and there are further events to be attended along different lines to encourage young people into an engineering career.

Having taken the 'p' slightly about degree-qualified engineers, I can say that almost every one I've met was quite capable of holding down a proper job in our industry, but they seemed to lack a positive direction in their career path. If only they had read these threads of wisdom, it may have planted seeds of doubt and saved all the student loan business.

Talking Re: Employment after graduation

We're here and there.

I'm in Southend on BAe146's. I know of a few populating the hanger at BASCO. And there's more dotted around the UK.

Question Re: Employment after graduation

What are the guys doing here and there? And are there any career aspirations involving the degree?
    Now there appear to be no exemptions regarding the EASA Part-66 licence are guys self studying modules while doing mechanic's jobs or is employment being offered using the degree skills?

The failing in the industry lies with the airlines who stopped doing apprenticeships,because in BA during you apprentice ship once finished onc you could the do hnc if good enough, and then convert to degree,mean while gain lots of hands on experence,most companies airline or not want some one else to pay for the training,ie no one seems to want to invest for the future.Im 32 ,BA youngest ex apprentice is probably29-30 years old,so about 10years of no apprentices ,there soon will be a shortage of young engineers

A number of companies in the Aberdeen helicopter industry are trying to make a difference by employing engineering apprentices. This is directly related to the predicted lack of skills in the future. Perhaps those out there wanting a career in aviation might want to try and apply there if the rest of the country is not so forward thinking?

Start date each year is usually around the beginning of September, so I'll let you work out when those applications and CV's need to be sent in. Places are limited, but you never know your luck.

Rumours are circulating that the third largest airline in the country is working on a new, modernised apprenticeship scheme. So maybe those considering working on 'proper planes' ought to keep their ears n' eyes open.
    The industry needs new blood and it doesn't appear to be getting it from the colleges/universities. A modern, revised and refreshed apprenticeship program is the only way.
    It's not only the flying egg whisks that are forward thinking! Our colleague 'Swiss Tony' might know a bit more. What do you think Swiss?

Cool Re: Employment after graduation

Dug, wow!
    Who are you? You know too much! All I will say is that all avenues are being explored and as we are an expanding and very forward thinking organisation, nothing is being ruled out for consideration.
    What I will say is that we are looking for engineers that can fix planes not design earth atmosphere re-entry vehicles and at present they are hard to find.
    Watch this space!
    Swiss.

Thread Information