Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CV - Lynx Mechanic (currently serving in Royal Navy)

EmCoglan Guest

Default CV - Lynx Mechanic (currently serving in Royal Navy)

Hello,

I'm currently serving the last 6 months (ish) of my notice in the Royal Navy at RAF Cottesmore. I'm looking to undertake employment early next year (2008) but will be eligable to apply for early release from service should I be successful earlier! Please read my CV and feel free to contact me at any time should you have any queries.

Regards,

Emily

MISS EMILY M COGLAN

Tyre/Brake Bay
    Harrier Components Flight
    RAF COTTESMORE
    Oakham
    Rutland
    LE15 7BL
    M 07989347202
    [email protected]

Royal Navy Air Engineering Technician 1st Class, 5 years service in UK and overseas. Qualified to Maintain/Sign Mark 3,7 and 8 helicopters, completed scheduled and non-scheduled maintenance of Lynx and second line manufacture, maintenance and non-destructive testing of Harrier components.

KEY SKILLS

My key skills are as follows:
    • Skilled in helicopter maintenance, rectifications, modifications.
    • Constant ability to meet deadlines and prioritise while maintaining constantly high standards.
    • Pro-active and tenacious approach to projects and challenges.
    • Adept problem solver.
    • Computer literate, keen to embrace new technology.

CAREER SUMMARY

2002 – Present Royal Navy Air Engineering Mechanic First Class

• Currently employed in the Tyre/Brake Bay of the Harrier Components Flight, RAF Cottesmore. Work involves the manufacture of wheels, including the dismantling, cleaning, non-destructive testing and rebuild of components in accordance with Joint Air Publications.
    • Employed in the Explosive Storage area at RAF Wittering forming part of a team required to build explosive devices and issue explosive stores. Also in charge of expendable stores and responsible for completing associated paperwork.
    • Served on 847 Naval Air Squadron maintaining Lynx Mark 7 Helicopters fitted with TOW Missile Systems and Sights. Completed daily and technical flight servicing, also scheduled, preventative and corrective maintenance of all systems (mechanical and avionics) both at RNAS Yeovilton and in Iraq.
    • Served and completed taskbook and also became qualified to maintain and sign on 702 Naval Air Squadron maintaining Lynx Mark 3 and 8 helicopters.

2001 – 2002 Sodexho Wardroom Hall Porter

• After leaving secondary school I worked part time as a Wardroom Hall Porter at HMS Collingwood Wardroom. My roll was as a front of house receptionist and representative of the Officers Mess.

EDUCATIONAL ACHEIVEMENTS

Military Qualifications

• Qualified To Maintain Lynx Mk3, Mk8 and Mk7 Helicopters
    • Qualified To Sign Mod Form 700C Documentation, Lynx helicopters
    • Local Authorisations to carry out Non Destructive Testing of Harrier Components
    • Helicopter Underwater Escape Unit Trained (STASS and Minus Air)
    • Pyrotechnic Trained (Chaff/Flare, Handheld Flare, Smoke Grenade, Trip Wire)
    • Weapon Loading Trained (TOW Missiles)
    • Intermediate Sea Survival Trained (Fire Fighting, Damage Control etc.)
    • NBCD Killick Task book Trained
    • Aircraft Movements Team trained
    • Helilift Operator
    • SA80 5.56mm Rifle Trained

Civilian Accreditations
    • First Aid Level 2 Qualified
    • RYA Competent Crew

Academic Qualifications
    School of Marine and Air Engineering, Gosport.
    • Basic Engineering Competencies General Engineering
    • City and Guilds Key Skills:
    o Communication
    o Working With Others
    o Application of Number
    o Information Technology
    o Improving Own Learning and Performance

1998 – 2001 Neville Lovett Community School, Fareham. Hampshire.

• GNVQ Level 2 Information Communication Technology
    • GCSE A* Religious Education
    • GCSE A English Language
    • GCSE A English Literature
    • GCSE B Mathematics
    • GCSE B Geography
    • GCSE B Art
    • GCSE B Short Course Physical Education
    • GCSE B Full Course Physical Education
    • GCSE C Spanish
    • GCSE C Physics
    • GCSE C Chemistry
    • GCSE C Biology

PERSONAL DETAILS

Date of Birth: 7th August 1985

Personal Interests: I enjoy playing sports and currently represent the Royal Navy at Hockey, and Fleet Air Arm in hockey, netball and football. Other interests include reading, cinema and eating out.

Driving: Clean full motorbike licence, taking lessons to complete car driving licence.

Contact Details/Availability: I can be contacted on the details above, preferably on the mobile phone number given. Should I be successful in my application, I will available for an interview on any given day/time.

I will be eligible to take up civilian employment as of early 2008, and will be available for unpaid work placement/experience for 20 days between now and then. I can also apply for early release from the Royal Navy if successful in my application, a letter of confirmation will be needed to forward to my Commanding Officer.

Default Re: CV - Lynx Mechanic (currently serving in Royal Navy)

Hi,

Have you been through your Resettlement Centre yet? They do a decent CV writing course. Not wanting to pick holes or anything, but your CV marks you down as an ideal employee of the MOD. You may want to think about losing all the military stuff (SA80 trained? Nobody out here needs that!)

I'd advise thinking about the kind of job/company you want to work for, and tailoring your CV to suit. Your military experience is fine and dandy, but just write it down so a civilian can understand it, and make it relevant.

Hope that helps a bit. Make your Resettlement Office your next point of call
    ..............possibly the best smiley in the world!

And some objectives would be handy. What do you want to do when you leave the RN? Are you looking at Pt66 licensing. Staying rotary or moving down to fixed-wing?

RB

Em; I have to agree with the previous comments. I see a lot of soon-to-be-ex forces cvs and yours is typical. Unless you're going into the private security (mercenary) business lose the military stuff. First thing I look for is a licence or evidence of your intention to get one i.e. a list of modules completed or a plan to start. If you don't feel confident to start Pt 66 B modules, try and get an A licence course as resettlement. You need to remember that not all would be employers know service jargon - what trade are you? I can work it out but your average civvy Human Resource dept won't. Decide what you want to do - slab-wing, rotary, GA? - decide where you want to live but be prepared to be flexible, do some research on your potential employer and approach the right people - big boys have HR depts, GA and small companies aim for the Chief eng or similar. On the positive side, you're young, we're all old and decaying, you have time on your side.
    best of luck, PM me if you want any more waffle. 8.

EmCoglan Guest

Thank you for all of your advice guys, it really helps! Having been in since I was 16, CV writing has never really been necessary!

I would definately consider doing some licences, and I would prefer to stay Rotary but that does limit my choices some what. The offers I've had have all been those with military contracts (didn't realise the civvies were getting paid so much!)

I shall leave this CV on here for a while, see what else comes up then speak to the resettlement centre when I get back off leave and submit my new improved version for your approval!

Cheers guys,

Em

Limit your choices? There's plenty of choice really. Aberdeen: CHC, Bond Offshore, Bristow. East Coast: CHC. SAR: CHC Mid-UK to South:MacAlpines, Sloanes, Bond Air Services, Police Aviation Services, Premiair Aviation. Most of these, if you are willing to do your licenses (or have already started on your own accord) will help train you up if they deem you a suitable candidate.

Best of luck.
    You want me to do what! ...
    Do you know who I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Number8 View Post
    On the positive side, you're young, we're all old and decaying, you have time on your side.
    best of luck,

What's this "we", Kimo Sabi?

RB

Talking Re: CV - Lynx Mechanic (currently serving in Royal Navy)

Sorry guys, I am going to have to break most of your hearts.

WE ARE NOT YOUNG ANYMORE

However, even in my mid 30's, some older engineers still consider me to be a youngster. I take that as a compliment.
    I like simple things. It stops my brain from exploding.

[QUOTE=However, even in my mid 30's, some older engineers still consider me to be a youngster.[/QUOTE]

I certainly do
    You want me to do what! ...
    Do you know who I am?

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabeconnie View Post
    Sorry guys, I am going to have to break most of your hearts.

WE ARE NOT YOUNG ANYMORE

However, even in my mid 30's, some older engineers still consider me to be a youngster. I take that as a compliment.
    Didint realise the hills were that steep in Northamptonshire, mid 30's my arse
    In the land of pensions, holiday pay, sick pay and office politics.

Thread Information