Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you done Type training on your own?

Smile Have you done Type training on your own?

Hello! With recent drop in exchange rate self-training paid in greenback seems like attractive option. There few centers in US - Airbus one and Alteon, but would like to know what is situation in Europe and other places, perhapst even in Bahrain... I am looking to get advise from anyone who have enroll and pay on his own widebody type training in last two years:
    1) Which one from all EASA approved training organisations around is willing to acept "per seat" candidates
    2) How much did it cost you (you may wish to share that by PM)
    3) Where can be done an on-the-job practical training (apparently not just any 145 approved will be willing to accept me even on my own cost)
    Cheers!
    Beyond big salty water happen to be just another land.. and again its full with Indians

Default Re: Have you done Type training on your own?

Finding a company who sells courses per seat isn't that hard to find. To find a Part 145 company where you can do your OJT can be a pain in the a$$ because not every company wants non-employees touching their aircrafts.
    Or you can do your OJT via a Part 147 organisation but it will cost you the same amount on what you spended for your type rating and sometimes even more. I've heard that some Part 147 organisations charges over the 12.000€ for 2 weeks OJT on A320 family.
    Impossible is nothing

Just thought i would point out that OJT is not a mandatory requirement for award of an aircraft type rating

Yep Juan my understanding is that as well. If you've done a 147 course the CAA now have to give you the rating. Proof of OJT & Experience is in your Log Book. However I'M sure if you got the rating any new employer will give you 3mths OJT experience and approval.
    Last edited by willdoatrip; October 10th, 2007 at 05:44.

I though that an OJT (before or after the type rating course) was mandatory to apply for a new type rating and that keeping an experience logbook is not mandatory, or am I wrong?
    Impossible is nothing

Surely OJT is mandatory because the CAA like to see you have aquired the right amount of "experience" before putting it on your licence!
    Ive kept a log of over 1 years experience now since type course!

OJT is probably the wrong thing to say - experience on type is closer to the mark. It will vary on timescale depending on whether it's your first type rating or subsequent ones, but will be decided by the CAA surveyor. You will definately have to show some sort of experience on type (before or after the type course) before getting it endorsed on your licence.
    At least now I can be legally legless

Practical training during Part-147 courses is being pressed for hard by the UK CAA to lighten the load of paper they review in assessing experience. Part-147 training organisations will be 'persuaded' to employ extra staff as practical assessors on top of the theory instructors. A lot of this will be discussed at the next Part-147 CAA seminar at LGW on 24th October although not many know about this meeting.

It all falls down when you want to kit-form a live aircraft with 10 students while the chief engineer pulls the remains of his hair out. Another problem is the lack of airframes of a new aircraft type on your operation. Some Part-147 courses have minimal hands-on but seem to meet the requirements.

At the end of the day, it's a lot easier and cheaper to convert a Pilot from one aircraft type to another, but maintenance technician training and conversion under Part-147 is becoming a big pain in the ar$e for a lot of companies. The costs are very large and there is not guarantee of success.

A big "Thank you very much" to everyone who took a min to put a word on this subject. Would be great if 400Hz or anyone else well-informed share news about new aspects which may arrive from mentioned JAR 147 seminar.
    Cheers!
    Beyond big salty water happen to be just another land.. and again its full with Indians

As said before CAA will give you a licence after your genuine approved 147 course. Roles have changed, before it was tea and bickies with your friendly CAA surveyor. Now all this authority passed on to "The Company QA Manager". This is why so much problem and disparity over approvals. You have to prove to the QA Manager your experience(hence the work experience book) NOT the CAA.

Thread Information