Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate Inspection under A license?

Default Duplicate Inspection under A license?

Is this possible? My understanding is that you can only certify your own work. But if you have been involved in a component change that is within your approval, and it requires a duplicate then you can?

Default Re: Duplicate Inspection under A license?

Not allowed only non licensed person authorised is the captain of the aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by willdoatrip View Post
    Please read the following, it may open your eyes to EASA requirements with regards to Independent?duplicate inspections.

ED Decision No 2003/19/RM
    28/11/2003
    4.3.1 An independent inspection is an inspection first made by an authorised person signing
    the maintenance release who assumes full responsibility for the satisfactory completion of the
    work, before being subsequently inspected by a second independent competent person who
    attests to the satisfactory completion of the work recorded and that no deficiencies have been
    found.
    4.3.2 The second independent competent person is not issuing a maintenance release therefore
    is not required to hold certification privileges. However they should be suitably qualified to
    carry out the inspection.

if you have been involved in a component change that is within your approval
    If you have been involved then you can't do an independent inspection anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by spannersatcx View Post
    If you have been involved then you can't do an independent inspection anyway.
    4.3.1 An independent inspection is an inspection first made by an authorised person signing the maintenance release who assumes full responsibility for the satisfactory completion of the work...
    I love this job

My concern, though, is that MROs may be extending the privileges of the A-Licence beyond the original concept. Wheels and brakes changes, lubrication, cabin defects, these were the main focus of the limited and simple tasks in addition to the PDI and Daily Inspection. Not Engine/Flight controls, not Vital Points.

However, some new tasks have arisen, e.g. Oil Tank Cover on some engines, that require Independent Checks.
    I love this job

Quote Originally Posted by willdoatrip View Post
    4.3.2 The second independent competent person is not issuing a maintenance release therefore
    is not required to hold certification privileges. However they should be suitably qualified to
    carry out the inspection.

Is there an official definition for the qualifications of the "Competent Person".

I have my view's. However, I am sure others have theirs. Operational requirements may play a part in this!

Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking View Post
    4.3.1 An independent inspection is an inspection first made by an authorised person signing the maintenance release who assumes full responsibility for the satisfactory completion of the work...

before being subsequently inspected by a second independent competent person who attests to the satisfactory completion of the work recorded and that no deficiencies have been found.

I think it comes down to these simple words:-

'However they should be suitably qualified to
    carry out the inspection.'

Not knocking A guy's this should be aimed at B1.1's or 2's qualified on another type. The A licence is limited amd simple and should not even include the 'original' job let alone a duplicate inspection.

The commander option was a get you home option and many airlines QA departments really prefer a suitably qualified engineer nowadays over this option and will issue dispensations on this basis only.

Thread Information